Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Stubborn Father

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    D3bbi3

Stubborn Father

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 pm

My father is age 58 who has transitioned out of owning his own business to being unemployed. He has been gambling for 3 years now with increased visits to 3or4 times a week, can be up to 10hrs a visit and range from $100 to $300 (that i know of) per bacarat hand. He mostly talks only of his theories and time gambling. He is in denial he has an gambling addiction and believes a paying job is not as worthwhile as what he makes from gambling. He is verbally aggressive when confronted and is influencing my mother to gamble by giving her money to do so. Living by my cultural belief of looking after my elders and as an only child at the age of 34 I fear if i move out they cannot sustain all the house hold bills and i have failed as their child. I have taken up paying for all bills in full, 4x car rego&insurance, my own bike rego&insurance plus occasional share of their credit card. Although they own their home, i feel this cannot continue as I am unable to financially work towards my own life goals with my partner. My hate towards my fathers gambling and slowly towards my mothers silence is becoming more and more each day. I do not like this feeling of being torn between my duty as their child and my own future.
    0 x
    Mish_27

Re: Stubborn Father

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 am

Thank you for your post D3bbi3. Sounds like you are under a lot of financial and emotional stress. A lot of people with family members that gamble go through similar experiences. I hope you find the support you are after in this forum to help you overcome this difficult time. If you need any further assistance feel free to contact our Gamblers Helpline 1800 858 858, where one of our counselors will be able to talk you through the situation and how to best move forward.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”