Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Your self-care

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    BrittV (facilitator)

Your self-care

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:30 am

Hi all,

I think it could be a great idea to start a thread to share ideas about ways that friends and family of people with problems relating to gambling can look after themselves.

It is normal to experience a wide range of emotions when concerned about the gambling of someone close to you.
    While supporting your loved one is important, `b]it's also important to take the time to look after your own health.
    [/b]
    Just like no two situations are the same, self-care can look very different for everyone.

My favourite line from the Ideas for Self-Care link from the [url=https://www.facebook.com/GamblingHelpOnlineAU/]GamblingHelpOnlineAU Facebook page[/url`, is “If it comforts you or calms your mind it counts as self-care.”

I'll start:
    • On good days - I try to do yoga a few times a week. It gets my body moving and keeps my mind calm. I like to go to classes for this, but youtube is also a great (and free!) option. I've heard the ‘Yoga with Adrienne' YouTube channel is great.

On harder days - dusting myself off and putting on my favourite outfit can help me stand a little taller. Fresh air's also important to me – getting outside even for five minutes helps me feel fresher on days where I just want to sit inside.
    So what does self-care look like to you?
    0 x
    pamela

Re: Your self-care

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:10 am

When I feel down I love to do cryptic crosswords as they make me think in the now and clears my head
    When I feel up ,I just love to potter around the garden or grab a good book and lose myself in that
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”