Just found out my partner has a gambling problem

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

Re: Just found out my partner has a gambling problem

Postby DesperateWife » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi PGambles,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re in this situation. It would be really hard to have him promise to stop multiple times and then keep doing it.

I only found out my husband has a gambling problem two weeks ago so I’m very new at this, but my suggestion would be to put some solid plans in place to help him stop. He needs to be committed to the process of tackling his addiction, of course. If he is, some of the things that could be done are:
1) You take control of the finances or, at the very least, make sure you have easy access to the bank accounts so you can see what’s going in and out.
2) He probably needs professional help as this seems like an ongoing problem.
3) He could exclude himself from the places he regularly gambles.
4) I’m going to get my husband to tell the family because I feel like these problems feed off secrecy.

I really hope that he gains control over this problem and he takes the steps he needs to so he can stop.

Keep posting because we’re all here to support you.
DesperateWife

Re: Just found out my partner has a gambling problem

Postby Mona58 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am

Hi PGambles'

Really sorry you are in this situation.

All I can suggest is to call the Gamb helpline on 1800 858 858 and they will provide advice and moral support on how to deal with the situation.

Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Just found out my partner has a gambling problem

Postby PGambles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:37 am

My partner and I have been together nearly 4 years I knew when we got together he enjoyed to put a little bit on the pokies like $20 here or there whenever we went into town.

3 years ago we moved into town and as he deals with all the bills I never really looked at statements. Last year when I had to do paperwork for a new rental I noticed on our bank statements large cash withdrawals at our local sports club. So I spoke to him about it and he said he would stop.

I trusted that he would but about 6 months later I see it’s been happening again. Anyway fast forward to last year he gets a big win and obviously has to tell me, he puts a deposit down on a car as by this time we are expecting a baby so need a reliable car to drive baby in. He promises me this time he won’t do it again as we have baby on the way. I also said if he does it again I will leave him.

Again i stupidly trust him, this week I have had to do paperwork again for a new rental and I have seen he has been gambling again ,I’m so hurt and don’t think I can ever trust him again. He’s gambling with money we need. Ok the bills get paid but we don’t want to be renting for ever. My daughter and I are supposed to be going overseas to visit family and we were supposed to be saving to head over. He says he’s been putting money away for it but he hasn’t. We are living on one income and I just don’t know what to do anymore!
PGambles

Return to For Family and Friends