Where to go from here?

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

Re: Where to go from here?

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Melanie,

I'm one of the moderators on gambling help online.

I can imagine how stressful your situation would be. I hope you are also managing your own self-care as well through this.

Mona58 is right, I would encourage you also to give 1800 858 858 a call. We can provide counselling over the phone and also provide referrals to face to face counselling for:

Financial counselling: providing support through financial strain caused by gambling, such as debts etc.
Gambling counselling: providing strategies and emotional support in relation to gambling.

When it comes to gambling, it sounds like your husband may need to evaluate what his urges and motivations are and consider putting barriers and restrictions in place.
Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

Calvin.
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby Melanie » Thu May 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks...
I will definetely try and find some time to call them 😊
Melanie

Postby Mona58 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi Melanie,

Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Call the gamb helpline On 1800 858 858 .

Give the number to your husband or ring yourself . they are not only for gamblers and will be able to put you in touch with the correct source that you need.

l sincerely hope that your husband gets the help he needs and life becomes more manageable for you.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Where to go from here?

Postby Melanie » Wed May 02, 2018 5:37 pm

I have been with my husband for 9 years and married 3 years. Our bills keep getting pushed back and our rent has already fallen 2 weeks behind.

My husband has a gambling problem specifically horse racing. He admits he has a problem but then apologises and does it again. I have talked with him and asked him to call the helpline for which he just responds with i will stop. Our family have all chatted to him and are aware of the gambling to show support and help but he keeps doing it.

We are a young family and just found out we are expecting our 2nd child. All of this stress about finances is not helping me at this point of my pregnancy :( .

I dont know what to do to move forward and get out of this hole he keeps putting us in. We had to move into my inlaws 4 yrs ago because of gambling and only just got our own place again (renting) and i feel like its dejavu.

Any advice/tips or comments that could help are appreciated.
Melanie

Return to For Family and Friends