How can I help my Brother?

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

Re: How can I help my Brother?

Postby flipper (facilitator) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Worried Brother,

I'm Flipper one of the moderators of gambling help online. What you've described sounds really tough on you and your whole family, but as Pamela has said, your brother is very lucky to have you and your support. I agree that when thinking about ways that you might be able to help, putting a stop on loans is very important because people need to experience the consequences of their actions, and it is only when the consequences start outweighing the benefits does this lead to change. The hardest part about all of this is that ultimately your brother needs to want to change/stop his gambling and this can be really frustrating for loved ones: So focus on what helps you cope and remember to set boundaries as well so that it doesn't begin to affect your mental health. Try and resist the urge to lecture him, but rather express that you're coming from a place of concern. Gambling can often be a tough topic for people to open up about, and if he is not comfortable to do so with you just yet, encourage him to at least speak to someone about it and a good stepping stone for doing so is ringing Gambler's Helpline on 1800 858 858.

Keep exploring the forums, there is a wealth of information and support around.

Take care and Happy Easter!
flipper (facilitator)

Postby pamela » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:48 am

Yes I can imagine how hard this must be for you all but given the right help he can beat this..its a long hard road to walk but its worth it.You obviously care a lot and that is so important, so keep offering your support and work together
Good luck
pamela

Postby Worried Brother » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks Pamela. We’ve just found out that not only he has a gambling addiction but also prescription medicines. We are trying to get him into rehab, ultimately that will be his decision. It’s very sad and is worrying the hell out of Mum and Dad.
Worried Brother

Postby pamela » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Its really hard when a family member has a problem but won't admit it.The best thing you can do for a start is stop giving money as that is enabling him ..offer your support but suggest he gets help and there is plenty of help out there..get him to see a financial counsellor as they are really helpful and hopefully he can pick up the pieces of his life and start again
Good luck
pamela

How can I help my Brother?

Postby Worried Brother » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 am

Gday.
I’ve known for a while now that my brother has a gambling problem as he is always asking for loans off me or other family members. In the last few months he has been depressed and when I try to talk to him he Just clams up.
Last night it all came crashing down on him, he lost his job,his wife asked him to leave( luckily for him Mum lives close by and he is staying there).
Was just wondering in what ways I can help him out.I live 4hrs away but am going to see him next week. Not really sure what to say.
Worried Brother

Return to For Family and Friends