Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Needing some help

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    LBA

Needing some help

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

I found out just over a month ago that my husband has been gambling on poker machines. He works 6-7 days per week, long hours and when he is home he always on his phone or watching tv. He has no interest in myself or our 3 children. When I found out I was very supportive of him, researched how I could help and always stayed calm. He promised me that he would get help but a month later he hasn't bothered to help himself, says he doesn't have time because of work. Last week he received a garnishee notice in the mail, he said it was just a scare tactic and that he would pay it. He hasn't spoken to me all week and now i don't want to bring up the subject for fear of confrontation. I want to ask him to leave but he has attmitted he is sucicidal, and I don't know how to deal with it. I have been a stay at home Mum for the last 13 years, he has had complete financial control. I have opened up my own bank account but only have a few hundred dollars so far. I am trying to find a day care place for my toddler so that I can find a job to earn some money. Does anyone have any advice on how else I can protect myself and children financially, and how I can get through to him
    0 x
    Mona58

Re: Needing some help

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi LBA.

I suggest you call the Gamb Helpline on 1800 858 858

Take care of yourself and the children.
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    LBA

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am

Thank you, I have an appointment with a councillor today. I'm really want him to leave but worries about how I will cope financially. Hopefully today will go well
    0 x
    Mona58

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Check out Centrelink. They have social workers available,
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    LBA

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 pm

Thank you! I will
    0 x
    pamela

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Good luck LBA..it is just as hard for the family of a gambler but there is lots of help.available so I suggest you get all you can..
    0 x
    LBA

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:50 am

Yep! It's just so hard when he won't get help. He works long hours and if he doesn't work he will loose his job. So this is his excuse- he doesn't have time. The councillors near us are open 9-5 and 9-12 on Saturday, he works 4am-7pm and 6-4 on Saturday
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”