Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My BF is addicted to horse racing, help!

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    GambGF

My BF is addicted to horse racing, help!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm

I cannot believe I'm actually at the point where I am seeking help on forums but I'm not sure what else to do. My boyfriend is a long term gambling addict. He is constantly on horse racing gambling apps on his phone, if he's not gambling he is looking at stats. In the past 6 months I would say he has lost at least $50000. The problem is he chases his losses and has a large income and access to several credit cards that have huge limits. When he loses he is very upset with himself but then his next paycheck comes in and he is able to replace the money he has lost. So instantly feels better and goes back to the apps. He believes he is a good gambler, he has tried putting a limit on himself which worked for a bit and he has limited the amount of alcohol he has when gambling which also worked for a bit. But it always goes bad eventually. His dad was a gambler and he spent a lot of time as a child in the TAB with him. We were supposed to be starting a family but I can't do that knowing he can't control this. Because he has a big income I don't think he thinks it will ever affect us financially. I think it would be good for him to hear from someone with a great life and a high paying job who threw it all away gambling. He tries to assure me that it doesn't effect me and I don't need to worry but I can't help it. I'm totally lost.
    0 x
    Jasmine

Re: My BF is addicted to horse racing, help!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi,
    I am a gambler myself (online pokie) and admitted to my husband as the problem is getting out of control to me.

I just sat with him this arvo and discussed. I lost $25,000 only in the last two months. It's crazy! We both have a good job with a confortable lifestyle so I still can't figure it out yet why I gamble so badly (it has been on and off since last ten years). Losing that money doesn't put us in a bad position but...mentally exhausted, feel like I betray someone who loves me, lost precious time that we could have done something else, my emotion is up and down all the time which is bad for my health, our money could have been spent on a holiday or even a car...

It may not affect your BF finance right now but it will one dah, despite how big he earns from his job. He sounds like me, I also chased the losses too and I bet even bigger and bigger ($60per spin on the online pokies). Mad!

I became more fluctuating emotionally.
    I stayed up to play online when my husband sleep. Then I was too tired for our romance.
    I don't buy things I want, but keep money to feed my addiction.
    I lied! This is the worse thing to do to my husband but it's what every gambler does. They lie and I don't know how any healthy relationship can be built on that.

I know I'd think real hard about having a relationship with a gambler. I am not saying they are bad people but they have a lifelong disease. Talk seriously with him and get help professionally (early) before it gets worse.

I asked my husband to divorce me twice as I feel powerless to stay gamble free, but I can see how horrible having to live with a gambler like me. He refuses to leave as he believes we have to keep trying to help me constantly and in all possible ways. It's easier for us than for many others as financial wise, we are fine. But still, it's a horrible situation for anybody to experience.

Look after yourself first. You may want to seek help from a counselor yourself on how to handle this situation. All the best.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”