Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My wife has a problem

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    John892T

My wife has a problem

Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi, I found out 2years ago that my wife has a gambling problem with the pokies. So far, she has gambled $200k and even after repeated attempts by our daughter and I, there has been no change.
    I have restructured our finances as best I can, but money still is being drained out.
    My wife doesn't want to seek help, saying that she can manage it herself, which it isn't.
    I am at a total loss at what to do next.
    0 x
    Printemps

Re: My wife has a problem

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:50 am

hey there @John892T it sounds the past couple of years have been pretty rough. It is hard finding out someone we love can be struggling with something as devastating as a gambling addiction., but overtime the lack of change can really just ware us down and become an ongoing frustration. It sounds like you and your daughter have tried to be supportive and encouraged your wife to make a change.

One of the major hurdles when it comes to a gambling addiction is that people have to be willing to make a change themselves. If she is not willing right now to make that change, the best thing to do is to ensure yourself and your daughter are protected and have supports for yourselves. What supports do you have in place? Family or friends, or even legal and financial protections?

@Jimap @AGHS @spentitallagain do you guys have advice?
    0 x
    AGHS

Re: My wife has a problem

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am

Hi @John892T , not sure what state you live in but there is third party barring, this is where you bar your wife from entering any pokie venues. I know in South Australia we have the Problem Gambling Family Protection Orders Act which allows affected family members to make an application to order the person to cease gambling. Alternatively speaking to your bank again to further restrict funds to your wife, banks are well aware of the damage gambling can do and will help. You could also consider counselling for yourself which you can access through Gambling Help line 1800 858 858, they may be able to discuss some strategies to help you and your daughter to help your wife. You may even need to give your wife an ultimatum.....seek help for her gambling or you will need to look at what your options are. You should not have to live like this. The stress she is putting you and your daughter under will impact on your physical and mental wellbeing. You need to take control of this situation as it will only continue to spiral down. Your wife also needs help to identify why she has this addiction.....addicts are often escaping reality. Keep posting on this forum as it does help to share and talk about this issue.
    2 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”