Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Gambling problem

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Lin

Gambling problem

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:35 pm

Need help to stop lost all my money can someone help me stop gambling plzzz what can I do I need advice
    0 x
    Printemps

Re: Gambling problem

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am

hey @Lin I just want to start of by saying welcome to the forums, and good on you for reaching out for support. It shows determination to open up and get help when you need it!

There are a few things you can do to stop your gambling, it does often depend on what type of gambling you're doing. IF you've been going to venues, you can always use self-exclusion. Likewise, if you've been going online you can use programs like NetNanny and Gamban to help limit your access to gambling sites and apps.

Those types of interventions will put barriers between you and being able to gamble, however you will still need to work on managing urges. Urges are that intense need you feel to have a punt, do you feel like you have any techniques for managing those at the moment?

I'm going to tag a few members who my also have some words of advice for you @Dr.Semaj @Judes @Kevcollingwood @yep123 @Spartan
    1 x
    Judes

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:41 pm

@Linda6 hang in there - it is not easy but it is rewarding when you start to reach milestones one day at a time! I am on Day14 after having to re-start this journey many many times over the past 8 years. This time I am approaching it a little differently - I have forgiven myself for my past behaviour - the wasted time spent at pokies, the $000,s I have lost, having excuses why I could not see family and friends just to go to a pub/club to play! I acknowledge the reason this started was through loneliness, boredom and isolation - so now I try and find the connections that I need in other ways. I am still on my own a lot, however will get out of the house and go for a walk, listen and read a lot of self development books, visualise my life without pokies and how awesome that feels, seek out time with family and friends, I also joined a local social group, reading other people’s stories also helps me. I wish you all the luck in the world - this is a great forum with lots of help available - use it!
    1 x
    Judes

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:42 pm

Sorry @Lin - my last post was meant for you … dyslexic fingers 😁
    0 x
    Kevcollingwood

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi @Lin hope you can join us with a 100 day challenge, small steps, one day at the time, one hour if you have to break it down.
    Learn to hate gambling, hate is not a nice word, we will make an exception here, if you don’t learn to hate gambling it will want you back, don’t let it.
    Happy days my friend, you got this , stay well😀
    1 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”