Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Friends & family introduce yourself here!

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Sherriejan

Re: New here? Friends & family introduce yourself here!

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:12 pm

Thanks, my fiancee has had a gambling addiction which has been going on for at least 2 years and it seems to be getting worse. He currently is off work and has been for a while (hasn't had a steady job for about 1.5 years), he is on austudy but will go to the pokies whenever he gets paid. I am finding it really hard to trust as he will leave for a day without any contact which happened many times in the past. Now I know where he usually is, and am able to bring him home but its followed by a lot of distance and resentment. He attended a GA meeting, said he was OK and wanted to continue and then didn't attend the following week. I don't want to be an enabler and I don't think I can continue down this path for much longer as my emotional health has been suffering, I work from home so it impacts my worries while im at work... but at the same time don't want to give up and looking for any hope.
    Thanks
    0 x
    Wenna (facilitator)

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi @Sherriejan ,

Welcome to the forum. I am Wenna one of the forum moderators and its good to see you joining the forum and I hope you will find it informative and supportive.

Our members are a great resource and many of them have had similar experiences and may share with you what has worked for them.

Self care is important at this time as stress in a relationship can be depleting.

Take Care and keep connected to forum.

Warm Regards
    Wenna
    1 x
    Seahorse1

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Heya, @Mark7 @Beachgirl @ProtectiveMum just checking in to see how you are travelling in 2021? Hopefully you find this forum a great resource and support. Let us know how you are going and if you have any shared experiences or questions - looking forward to hearing from you :)
    0 x
    Seahorse1

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:04 pm

@Sherriejan Thanks for posting about your current experience with your fiance - have you been able to get some help for him and for yourself too? Sometimes having just a bit of extra support and understanding can really be the key to make a change. Please feel free to continue to contribute to this forum too and be supported.
    0 x
    Sad parent

Thu May 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Hi just found this page this morning. I have read lots of stories and as I am having a bad time today I posted already .....
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:34 am

Welcome to our newest member @ilonlern!

Please feel free to post an intro about yourself. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums.

Looking forward to hearing your story.
    :);
    0 x
    TheTeam

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:11 pm

A warm welcome to our newest member @desperate Mum!

These forums are a safe place for you to connect with other people with similar experiences and support each other. Please feel free to post an intro about yourself. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums or if you have any questions regarding how to navigate them.

Looking forward to reading you around. :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:48 am

Welcome to our newest member @Roys59 and @mummabear02!

In the forums you'll find other people with similar experiences, some very useful information/advice and the support of this fantastic community. Please feel free to introduce yourself and don't hesitate to ask any questions, we're here to help.

Looking forward to reading you around in the forums.
    :);
    0 x
    Mitch26

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi my name is michelle I have been married for 21 years my husband has had a gambling problem the whole time we have been together. He got counseling a few years ago but has relapsed numerous times. I feel more hurt about the lies. And I hate being in a marriage with no trust. We share the same bank account so I can see when he withdraws money. We have just brought a house and just about to sign the mortgage papers and I’m worried about signing these as I don’t know if I can put up with this anymore. I’ve been busy cleaning our rental so we get our bond back while he has gone to the pub gambling we aren’t in the same page. Not sure what ride to do as we have tried different things and I’ve tried to support him.
    0 x
    Anita44

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi Mitch26

I am so sorry to hear your husband rather go to the pub gamble than helping you clean up the rental house, that not right.
    Sometime you can't change a person unless they wanted to change for themselves.
    That me I wanted to change for my partner and family, my determination are 100% stop gamble.
    Maybe you have to ask him see if he can afford to pay mortgage or not if you keep gamble?
    Each relationship are different than other.
    I am just very proud of myself that I was able to stop gamble for over 2 month now and I am don't want to go back to my old life again.
    1 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”