Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Getting a new job after being sacked for fraud?

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Scared&WorriedMum

Getting a new job after being sacked for fraud?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi All
    My daughter got caught stealing money from her workplace to aid her gambling. She will be facing fraud charges and likely convicted.
    She is now unemployed and living at home, I am not concerned about her stopping gambling; more for her future. She is young , what will she be facing regarding getting a new job? What does she have to tell prospective employers? Does she have to tell them what has happened? Will a criminal record affect her for the rest of her life?
    1 x
    Mona58

Re: Getting a new job after being sacked for fraud?

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi,

Very sorry for your dilemma.

I'm not sure whether she is obliged to reveal her past to prospective employers BUT it will be exposed during a compulsory police check IF she does get a criminal record. Also I guess it will depend on the type of job she applies for. It may well be best to be upfront and provide some evidence that she has ceased gambling.

I hope all goes well for you and your daughter.
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    AGHS

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 am

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work ... -chapter-5

The info on this page may shed some light on your query. As Mona58 stated, it really depends on what type of job she applies for. Generally, you are not required to release information regarding yourself in a job interview unless it is a requirement of the position such as working with children, a police clearance will be required.
    Best of luck and good on you for being supportive of your daughter, she probably needs you more now than ever.
    1 x
    jessm86

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi @Scared&WorriedMum
    I myself, when I was in my early 20's lost a job because I stole from my employer to fund my habit. I have a post in the 100 day challenge forum that maybe your daughter would be interested in reading as she may feel she can relate and it would be amazing if it could help her in any way. It took me about 10 years after losing my job to actually seek help and I really wish I knew about forums like this earlier and how many people have been and are stuck in the same awful addiction. Hope this helps and good luck to you both.
    Jess
    1 x
    Kevcollingwood

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 pm

@Scared&WorriedMum - please do your best to help, a compulsive gamblers life is a wasted life, all the best.
    1 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”