Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Is there hope after rehab?

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Loveneverfails

Is there hope after rehab?

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 pm

I don't know how to change my user name as love has failed me continually over and over.
    It should be "crushedbeyondbelief" as my husband of 25 years couldn't stop gambling for our whole marraige. He moved out 6 months ago, hit rock bottom and finally got some help and spent 5 weeks in a rehab place. He's been out for 5 weeks and apparently has not gambled or drank for 100 days and wants me to take him back. Is there hope? Because I don't think I could bear going through another traumatic experience if he ever relapsed. I just want stability and despite me being lonely, it's been great not having to take care of him and his issues and not sure if I can trust him again. I'd love to hear a "and they all lived happily ever after story" after rehab if it is at all possible.
    1 x
    Ducky89

Re: Is there hope after rehab?

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am

Hi @Loveneverfails , I'm Ducky89, one of the facilitators here on the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time with your husband's gambling. What you're managing is so tough and there are no easy answers. Hopefully you're able to find a supportive community here on the forum and to hear about some strategies that other members have used when coping with a family member's gambling.

Take care of yourself <3
    1 x
    sazr

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:49 am

Hi @Loveneverfails I am trying to get my brother to go to rehab but I don't know any places he can go. Would you be able to suggest any rehab places in NSW? And does medicare or health insurance cover this at all? I called the hotline but they didn't recommend any, they said rehab is more for drug and alcohol addiction not gambling which I find crazy theres not such services for gambling.
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi @sazr

There aren't any gambling rehabs specifically but there are gambling/financial counsellors that can be of great support.
    0 x
    Chunkyquitter

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 am

I used st Vincent’s gambling help across the road from the hospital. They were great. Unfortunately I have relapsed and I quit again. But they were the first ones to be able to make me stop when I probably had never missed a day gambling for 4 years. I was chronic and had tried to kill myself a few times.

Good luck there is hope, people gamble caise they feel no worth imo. It’s a horrible disease but limiting their access to Money will help them: I have lied too many times and hidden money. Access to money without being accountable is the problem.

Anyone who truely wants to quit won’t have an issue with you being responsible for the money
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”