Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Pokie free 32 days......

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    AnnaB (facilitator)

RE: Pokie free 32 days......

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 am

Popeye (13/04/2013)Thanks AnnaB and Loobylou

AnnaB other changes in my life by not going to the pokies are:

1. When I use to go and spend a lot of money and lose I couldn't sleep well that night (I felt like I was going crazy) sometimes when I woke up I felt like it was all a dream that I lost the money or it was another person who lost it, not me. Weird eh?

2. I am more relaxed around friends/family and not on edge. When I lost I would be more snappy, grumpy, depressed.

3. The day seems to be longer. I lost track of time in the venue's, that I felt like I didn't even get my day off.

4. No more lieing to family/friends on how I spent my day off. (I didn't always tell them I spent the whole day at the pokies)

These are the changes that come to mind by stopping the last 32 days
    Hi Popeye,
    Also meant to ask you yesterday...has anyone noticed any change in you since you stopped?
    0 x
    POPEYE

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 am

0 x
    Pat

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Popeye,

When I read of your changes, I was wondering if you saw it as a continuing struggle, as you were succeeding to day 32.

When I read your last post I felt the same as you. Will I have to struggle forever . or will it get easier ? I feel your

support as I can Identify with you, and I love your responses.
    0 x
    POPEYE

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:21 pm

0 x
    ansert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi Anna

I just kept thinking how great the last month had been having money in the bank and not having to feel down on myself, and that my husband was able to do some things that had needed doing for a long time but we never had the cash.

I knew I would have to admit it here and didn't want to do that, and I'd had such a fab time with my friends interstate (loneliness being away from where I used to live is a big factor I realise) that I didn't want anything spoiling it.

As far as the other night when I went into the room, it was strange, I just watched it and felt nothing except regret, and found it easy to walk out.
    0 x
    ansert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Popeye, not only does it help, but it's what made me stop - being accountable, even just on here, has been the key for me and it's great that the forum is busier and you are in a big way to thank for that!!
    0 x
    POPEYE

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am

0 x
    doug

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 am

good job Popeye..

you are a help to me in alot of ways,

PS

thanks to you also Ansert.
    0 x
    Doug who's the good dog?
    ansert

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 am

I was pretty amazed myself hahaha but that's what happened and you are more than welcome Doug

Once I make my mind up I am pretty strong, it's getting to the point of deciding that is hard - but we'll see....it is a choice though and for now and hopefully forever, I'm choosing to work hard and get somewhere, not throw it away, and feel proud of that!

And I'm choosing to finally friggin' grow up because as mentioned here, it is really an immature way of behaving, thinking a machine with no heart or soul can give us what we need from other people and from ourselves. And it's immature to think we can somehow change what has been proven over and over, that you will NEVER be ahead financially from a poker machine, NOT EVER! And it's immature to think that there is an easy way to get ahead, when it's always been proved that success is a combination of hard work meeting opportunity - so it's onward and upward from here!

Night all xx
    0 x
    BriM

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 am

Hi guys,
    I'm sitting at my desk at work, just reading through all your posts. I actually gave a little laugh of delight and one of my co-workers looked over at me and asked me what I was smiling about.

It's really nice to start my day reading everything, thank you for all putting a big smile on my face.

Bri
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”