Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Pokie free 32 days......

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    POPEYE

Pokie free 32 days......

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 pm

0 x
    Loobylou

RE: Pokie free 32 days......

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:05 am

Well done Popeye, you are doing great and you are so encouraging & supportive of others on the forums.

I am happy to say day 13 for me. Last night (Friday) was my big challenge as it was my fortnightly pay. I didn't really set myself up properly for having no money at hand, but every thought was turned to my 100 day challenge of not gambling. Proud today to say YES I got through it. LL
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Popeye (12/04/2013)Hi to whoever is reading,

Thought I'd share as to how I'm feeling and going being 32 days pokie free. I seem to obviously have more money these days and am paying bills as soon as I get them. I am keeping my mind busy and keeping myself occupied. I do occasionally get the urge and when I think about it, I think to how good I felt when I was going and how nice it was to go there and relax. I miss those days. But I have self excluded and I am finding it almost like a challenge to not lose and stuff up my 32 day pokie free record. I think that and the self exclusion has helped the most. I am staying away from venue's and I do not go anywhere near them. Sometimes I feel like if I do happen to be in a venue or near it that I would go inside so I am staying home a lot to avoid them all together. I hope I can keep this up for life but something tells me I might stuff up down the track.

Popeye
    Hi Popeye,It's great to hear that you have got to 32 days pokie free. Well done!!,sounds like the hard work is paying off J...Iappreciated your comment about the longer term picture. I've been thinking aboutthis and how someone once said to me ‘never say never, for who can commit tothat' but for now can I really encourage you to embrace the time you have up andcontinue to notice the changes. On that note, you mentioned the financial benefits ofstopping...I was wondering if you have noticed any other changes that you would be happy to share with us here..Keep the good work
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Loobylou (13/04/2013)Well done Popeye, you are doing great and you are so encouraging & supportive of others on the forums.

I am happy to say day 13 for me. Last night (Friday) was my big challenge as it was my fortnightly pay. I didn't really set myself up properly for having no money at hand, but every thought was turned to my 100 day challenge of not gambling. Proud today to say YES I got through it. LL
    Hi Loobylou
    Getting through a payday is a real achievement. Well done! Sounds like the 100 day challenge and the effort you are putting into switching the gambling thoughts into 100 day challenge thoughts are really working for you. I think you should feel very proud
    0 x
    Loobylou

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Thanks AnnaB I am proud today and feeling good.
    0 x
    POPEYE

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 pm

0 x
    ansert

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Well done Popeye and LL!!

This has been an interesting weekend, way too busy to think about it till tonight, and that was SO HARD!! I was at an event that was a club with pokies, and I had nowhere else I had to be and no one wondering where I was, and money in the bank. What a MASSIVE temptation, all the drive home I kept thinking no one will know etc.

This was my second big challenge, before I came away I had to drop some paperwork at my husband's club, and wouldn't you know it the customer was in the pokies room!!! I stood and chatted for a few minutes then turned and walked away, I couldn't believe I'd done it!

And tonight I have made it home safely even though everything in my head was telling me it was the perfect opportunity :unsure:

PHEW - think I might be a month now!
    0 x
    POPEYE

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 pm

0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks Popeye for sharing your experiences of not gambling for 34 days now! It's great to hear of people's successes and to hear how much you are appreciating the changes at this time. Huge well done to you!
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Ansert,I think Popeye's comments say it all! Great effort! I can hear the relief in your words...can I ask - how did you manage to not gamble and walk away (drive home)?.
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”