Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • First day of the rest of my life;

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Jacqui

First day of the rest of my life;

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Today I signed my self exclusion paperwork for pubs and hotels. Last week i signed the one for clubs. It was my last resort and i really hope it helps as my gambling was getting way out of control, to the point where i felt i lost everything important to me. Right now i have no money and am in debts but im feeling hopeful that i can get back on top and control this addiction. Jac :)
    0 x
    pamela

Re: First day of the rest of my life;

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Jacqui..well done taking this first step.
    It is a hard addiction to stop but with lots of support we can do it together..take a tiny step evety day
    0 x
    Keeton

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Yes I agree it is a big step but a well worth one. I myself did the self exclusion for clubs and It worked for me. There is a club in town that i used to go to regularly but since the self exclusion two months ago i haven't gambled there at all. I still can go there for dinner but not play pokies or even keno because i did the full gambling exclusion. While there may be other venues you may find or go to i find that starting to make it harder to gamble can give you the barrier to intervene yourself and stay quit.

All the best with it and keep up the fight because it is well worth it.

Keeton
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Jacqui,

welcome to the forum and good on you for taking the steps to exclude yourself - it takes a lot of courage, and a full acknowledgement that gambling has become a problem, which can feel like a scary admission. I hope that those boundaries help you and that you can also find some support here - the forum is a great envirnoment for sharing your experiences and hearing about other peoples' journeys of recovery.

Just wondering if you have any other plans for the 'first day of the rest of your life'?

All the best,
    Charlotte
    0 x
    tomuch

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Can i ask how you do this, i need to do this at the clubs and pubs near my work so i can stop going during my lunch break its killing my life
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Hey tomuch,

You can call Gambler's HelpLine and they will give you information for the process in you State or Territory. It's a national number: 1800 858 858. Good on you for considering it :)

Charlotte
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”