Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • 100 days challenge number two

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    SW1

100 days challenge number two

Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm

G'day,

I have just completed the 100 day challenge of not gambling. And Six days into my gambling challenge I decided to do 100 days of not drinking as well.
    I completed the 100 days of not drinking yesterday. I am powerless over both gambling and drinking.

One of the things that has helped me achieve both of those goals was posting on and reading others posts on this website. So I have decided to do the 100 days again of not gambling and drinking from today, day 1.

I hope everybody is having a good day, and staying gamble free!
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: 100 days challenge number two

Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi SW1,

Good on you for coming straight back and doing the challenge again. You are a great inspiration!
    I'm wondering, how have you marked your achievement? have you been able to 'reward' yourself? You sure deserve it :)

All the best,
    Charlotte
    0 x
    SW1

Mon May 18, 2015 6:44 pm

G'day Charlotte,
    thankyou for your kind words of support.
    I did reward myself on the weekend. On Saturday I went out for a meal with a friend from work, then went to watch the new mad max movie, in gold class, with the full on pop corn, choc top ice creams ). I thought the movie was really good, no real deep story line, just a good bit of action!

It wasn't anything massive, I have been going out for a meal and to the movies almost once a week for a few weeks now. But thinking about the fact that it wasn't that long ago that wouldn't have been possible, and being proud of myself for achieving that is the biggest reward I can give myself at the moment. With a constant trend to toxic thoughts about myself as a person, it has been a long time since I have been proud of anything I have done!!

I am very early into my recovery, but am definitely making progress! One day at a time!
    0 x
    SW1

Mon May 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Day 8 today of my second 100 day challenge of not gambling or drinking alcohol.

going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment, and the desire to gamble is popping up a bit more frequently than it has been for a while. I will continue to beat those thoughts down with the truth of what gambling is to me. Gambling is not what I want to do, and will destroy me even further if I ever do it again.

At the moment I visualise the effects of my long term gambling and drinking as massive rocks that I am carrying on my back. In terms of gambling, one of the largest 'rocks' I am carrying is my debt. Each fortnight I am chipping away at this rock, and making it smaller and less of a weight to carry. However, as well as this rock being massive, the years of gambling and drinking, have destroyed my ability to carry anything. I need to strengthen my back, I need to do this through continuing to progress with my recovery.

I hope everybody has had a good day today, and has stayed gamble free.
    0 x
    Dave68

Mon May 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Good work SW1 on starting the second leg of what for both of us is probably an infinite journey back to normality. I understand the analogy of carrying the rocks, which are like the 'fruits' of our gambling problems of the past, debt indeed for me too, and the distance i am from doing things a normal person can by dint of those debts.

Nothing but hard work and staying clean can try to fix these, so as you say, just chipping away is all we can do. Keep our heads up, our resilve to stay away up, and just hope that time can heal the wounds.

Thanks for posting, it does help knowing many others are in this boat together.
    0 x
    Amanda

Tue May 26, 2015 12:03 pm

I have been unsure about committing myself to the 100 day challenge, over 9 weeks ago I decided that to give up gambling I needed to give up alcohol, to give up alcohol I needed to give up the cigarettes, and the list goes on. I have had a couple of hiccups in all three departments all at the same time, but I have stayed pretty strong these past couple of weeks. I have said that I may have a drink in the future, I may gamble sometime in the future and I may have a cigarette in the future, though I wont do any of those things to day. It isn't that Im not committed to giving up, but whether 100 days is a little early to put that kind of pressure on myself. Maybe Im just fooling myself and but I do know the one thing that I don't want to do ever again is to play the poker machines.
    0 x
    SW1

Tue May 26, 2015 4:25 pm

G'day Dave,

Your support when I had first started my first 100 day challenge was something I am very grateful for.
    I also know that you are very welcoming to new members of this forum and take the time to reply to a lot of members starting out, and have very well thought out and encouraging posts.
    As well as your support, your own story of successfully fighting this battle for a long period of time was definitely a strong inspiration for me in my early days, and still is today. So I say thankyou again, I hope that you can take comfort in the fact that your support definitely helped me achieve the 100 day challenge.
    0 x
    SW1

Tue May 26, 2015 4:34 pm

G'day Amanda,

I suffer from problems with all three (Gambling Drinking and Smoking) too.
    I have had success of over 100 days of not Gambling or drinking, however have not been able to stop smoking.
    Smoking is the next vice which I have to attempt to stop!
    what you said in your post is one of the most important things I have to remind myself daily, 'it needs to be taken one day at a time' And keeping that thought at the front of my mind was something that helped me greatly achieving this many days. This isn't easy by any means, but if you can get through today not gambling, drinking or even smoking, you have achieved so much. And when tomorrow comes, you deal with that day.
    0 x
    Amanda

Wed May 27, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks SW1, my quit smoking has actually given me the confidence to be honest with myself. I know Im a good person, I would give the shirt of my back to help someone out, but I will remind myself on a daily basis, not bash myself up, because I cant change the past, but I can change my future and I don't want to forget what I have missed because of my drinking and gambling. I will no longer justify those actions. At the end of the day it didn't matter if I won or lost, I still just felt **** about myself.

I look forward to seeing you on here.

Feeling confident.

Cheers Mandy
    0 x
    SW1

Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:39 pm

G'day Mandy,

Apologies for the length of time for me to reply, Not beating ourselves up is something that I find very hard. However, I am trying to train myself to think of the positive things I have done in my life! Being under control of addiction has lead me to do things that have gone against who I am as a person, but I can not let them define me. And I am working through the values that I have, and thinking about ways that I can live a life true to them!

It is day 21 today, and am enjoying the long weekend, I hope everybody is having a good weekend as well and is staying gamble free today!
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”