Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My journey

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Sharon

My journey

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:43 pm

I've walked out so many times thinking "that's it, no really that's the last time", and each time it has been a lie. When I walked out today, I meant it. My history with gambling isn't as extensive as many of the threads I've read on here. I'm 30 years old, i started gambling perhaps five or six years ago. I earn a decent wage, and generally i ensure that my bills and mortgage are paid, sure I slip up here and there but on the whole I manage it, though my credit card funds are dwindling and I'm only paying the minimum off. I guess the issue is that, I am always left wondering what I could have been doing with the money I'm stuffing down the note acceptor. Since February, 2015 I've gambled nearly $7000. My gambling limits are going up quickly and I know if I keep on going I will end up in a dire financial situation. There is a history of gambling in my family, and they weren't low limit gamblers, they had the means to do it and I saw that. I don't have the means to gamble so excessively, and need to stop. My family are all proudly non-gamblers now. So tomorrow will be day 1. I love the idea of the 100 day goal, and I'm getting on board with that!
    0 x
    Neve [admin]

Re: My journey

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Sharon
    Welcome to the forum!
    Good on you for taking this step and recognising that your gambling was escalating. I wish you the very best for the 100 day challenge. This forum provides a great support network of others who are on a similar journey. Also, there's the Gambler's Helpline on 1800 858 858 which you can phone any time (24/7) if you want to speak with a Gambling Counsellor..
    Do you mind me asking, what kinds of strategies have you thought about to help you get through the challenge? e.g. self exclusion, limiting access to cash. It'd be interesting to consider (and you may have already) what helped your family members in becoming non-gamblers..
    Keep in touch,
    Neve
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi Sharon,
    A warm weekend welcome to the forum.
    0 x
    I

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi Sharon.
    Your story really reminded me of myself. I'm 31. earn a decent wage and always manage to pay my mortage and bills as well. I still lose a significant amount gambling and don't know when to stop, then think about the things I could of done with the money.
    I am at day 4 of the 100 day challenge. All the best.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi Sharon,
    I'm not sure what happened to the rest of my post from yesterday. I just wanted to say welcome and check in on how you were travelling.... Do you have a plan of attack for the Challenge?
    0 x
    Dave68

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 am

You've done well Sharon to recognise that this has become a problem for you already, as that's a massive key in working out how to overcome it. It's so important to start telling yourself this constantly, it helped me stop, but for me the recognition took over 25 years of gambling of all types, and about 15 years of futile pokie play.

This is a great place to be to help you with this, and it helps when you can visualise what you're not losing when you are stopping. It is very illuminating, $7K in a year is $140 a week. That will buy a lot of nice stuff or pay for a good holiday for sure. Well done on taking this first but most important step.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”