Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • First day to freedom

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Peter

First day to freedom

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 am

Hi everyone I'm Peter from Brisbane and I have a gambling problem. I've come to this forum mainly because I'm a shift worker and would find it difficult to attend GA meetings. So where do I start, I'm almost 40 and have gambled since I was 12. Yes I did say 12, it all began going to the horse races with my best friend and his dad. Mum would give me $20 every Saturday for this adventure. Back then bookmakers offered 5% refund on losing tickets. So being 12 my friend and I would find these tickets and the bookies would pay us the returns. They let us bet as well even tho we were kids. Sometimes I would make over $200 just in finding tickets. By the time I was 15 I was placing 50 each way bets no problem. Over time girls came into the equation and I stopped going to the races. The next phase for me was going to the Pub aged 16. This is where more damage was created. I was only a one beer wonder early on and my friends could drink like fish. So I train myself being skinny to handle alcohol like a bigger man. This meant making regular trips to the pub. Which meant I got addicted to poker machines. Things really got out of hand around this period. My mum and dad where having marriage problems and had a mortgage. Mum was a pay lady and embezzled some money over this period to keep us kids in the house. I was unaware of this at the time. Mum went to jail and after this my habits got worse. I ended up selling tools and furniture to support my gambling addiction. I ended up on the street because of my actions. Finally I was allowed back home (mum still in jail) I had a break go my way and joined the Air Force. This cleaned my act up quick smart. Unfortunately I only lasted 1 year in there due to injury and insubordination. So back home it was.
    Old habits come back quickly and I forgot to mention I had also taken up smoking in the Air Force when a close mate died on his motorcycle. So now I was affected by the big 3. The next 7 years I had a partner and would lose my pay check quite often. I was given a altimatum either get help or I'm out of here. I did seek help and stopped gambling for 1 year. But in the end my partner and I grew apart and she left. This means gambling back on. That now brings me to my current situation. New partner came on board about 10 years ago she's awesome but hates gambling with a passion. I've pretty much stopped playing poker machines over the last 5 years but now my issue is sportsbet. Being a shift worker I can access them 24 hours a day. Just this week I've lost $880 and my partner has had enough. I have as well. I'm currently a non smoker for over 2 years and I did stop gambling for 1 year in the past, so I know I can do this with your help. Gee sorry for blabbing on.
    Peter
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: First day to freedom

Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the Forum! And good on you for taking this step. This is a great place to read about other people's experiences, what they've done make change, and to feel connected with people who understand you.
    It sounds like gambling has been in your life for a number of years and that it's created problems for you and your relationships - alas, an all too common cost of gambling. I'm also hearing that you stopped for a year, which is terrific - as you say, it shows that you can do it! Just to let you know, as well as accessing this forum, there is 24/7 telephone gambling service that offers counselling, referrals and information: 1800 888 236.
    I hope you will find the forum a welcoming and supportive environment.

All the best,
    Charlotte
    0 x
    Peter

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks Charlotte for the welcome message.

Day 1 was relative easy because I only had access to $80. My partner has taken control of my finances about 4 weeks ago. But I was always finding loop holes to access my bank like telephone banking or my latest stuff up was sportsbet accepting pay pal. Ive been reading thru a couple of other peoples diaries for motivation. I know its only day 1 and I have many hurdles ahead but I feel a sense of relief writing about my issues. I'm planning to write my entries after work each day and I have notified my partner of this forum if she wishes to see what I'm up to.

I'm really happy I've found this forum

Peter
    0 x
    Neve [admin]

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:25 am

Hi Peter
    Thank you so much for sharing with us... and I'm really glad you found this forum too. You're welcome to use this like a diary, as you said. Recording the good days, and the bad. Feel free to ask questions any time but we (forum facilitators) also tend to take a 'back seat' and allow members to support each other :)
    All the very best to you as you begin this journey again, and we are here supporting you every step!
    Neve
    0 x
    Peter

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks Neve I appreciate it.
    For the last 5 months around 10am is my NBA betting time. I generally wake up at 09:30am ( shift worker) get on sportsbet and place my basketball bets. Sometimes there are up to 11 games so for the 3 hours before work I'm constantly watching my phone for the scores. So right now as I'm writing this my usual routine is happening in the back ground. I have a house inspection tommorrow so I have tried being busy cleaning. Plus I downloaded Messenger on my phone and have been talking to an old mate trying to distract myself. I also have a couple of pending bets that won't finish until June and they are worth around $600 so I can't close my sportsbet account just yet. What I have done is deleted the App of my phone. So today is harder than yesterday because I don't know who's playing NBA or any scores. I feel better now that I have wrote this. Back to cleaning and thanks again for your welcome.
    0 x
    Peter

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Well day 2 is done and dusted. I managed to avoid the NBA this morning until I arrived to work this afternoon. I'm know amongst my work mates to be the sports nut. So they kept asking about certain games. So I opened up honestly and told them I'm off the punt. I didn't really elaborate to much for now I just asked them not to talk about betting with me I'm trying to quit forever. 1 smart arse said I bet you can't do it. But he was just talking the piss as I'm normally jerking around with the one liners. So I'm pretty proud of myself as I used to gamble everyday. It made a big difference deleting any form of gambling apps off my phone like slotomania and sportsbet.
    See ya soon
    Peter
    0 x
    Peter

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi everyone, day 3 today off the punt today. Everyday is throwing me different curve balls. I was given a RDO today because I was ahead of schedule at work which was great, but then reality hit and then I was wondering what to do to keep myself busy. So I had a house inspection this morning which was straight forward. Then I decided to mow the lawn which was time consuming and I managed to distract myself for a couple of hours. My mate from work called and he is someone I talk to about gambling all the time. The funny thing was our conversation ended up being really open and we talked about different times were we both screwed up over the years. So now he knows where I stand in this challenge of quitting which is great. Anyway I'm going to relax now so I'll talk again soon.
    0 x
    Estella

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Today is my first day I hope to a new life I have been gambling on the pokies since I was 47 I am now 59. I go every pay day which is fortnightly and blow any thing from $200 to $800. After I have done this I feel nauseous and fall into depression. There have been countless times I have had to faine sickness or some excuse to get out of birthdays etc. I am so sick and tired of feeling this way and dearly want to quit. I am so desperate and very scared.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Estella, welcome to the forum...really good to see you here and nice to meet you :). Sounds like you've had enough of the gambling roller coaster ride. I'm sure you'll find the folks here a great source of support on this journey... one step at a time. You've taken a really positive step today..
    0 x
    Peter

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Estella,
    Thanks for dropping by my post with your story and welcome. Hopefully together we can change our lives for the better. Im in this for the long haul so let's achieve great things.
    Peter
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”