Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Road to recovery

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Keeton

Re: Road to recovery

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Hey there Karia,

I don't mind at all. In a way I sort of write on the forums so that others can see it as it's good to know someone else can understand my problem as I don't really have anyone I can share it with. It's just good to know that It may help someone and that would be great as well. I do like comments as well because it's as if I'm not just talking to myself.

Hope today was good for you and best wishes,

Keeton
    0 x
    Keeton

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:53 pm

After what seems like a lifetime I have finally quit the pokies. It has been a bumpy road but I have reached a point in which I don't want to gamble anymore because of the damage it has done to me over the last four years. My gambling was taking me nowhere and I just admitted that I simply have to stop doing it.

since my last update which i think was nearly three weeks I only slipped up once and that was only a small amount. It only reinforced how ridiculous gambling really is. Why gamble when there is so much more things to use my money with. I'm a different person when I gamble and I don't want to be that person anymore.

I thought it would never end but the time has finally come where I am getting back to living my life and moving forward. It's an eyeopener how amazing life is without gambling taking my money and self esteem.

Don't get me wrong I still have to desire to go and play them again but the relapses have made my resilience stronger and I'm able to resist urges a lot better.

hopefully i keep moving forward and be actually able to have the confidence to live my life not waste it on a machine.

til next time

Keeton
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:29 pm

getting stronger and more resolved all the time Keeton.... Great work!
    0 x
    Keeton

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Had a strong urge to gamble today and I almost gave in. I find that I get in control of not going and get in the trap of thinking i can go play them and it's fine. 'NO it is not ok' I told myself. I have proven to myself that I cannot go back to gambling because once I start again it can become something dangerous. All that will happen is I may win but would just put in back in next time. I just need to accept that fact and keep moving forward. It's just so hard because it has become habit to resort to gambling but it needs to stop. Even if I go out for tea and see people playing pokies I realise I'm doing the right thing when I see most people losing there hard earned money for what is supposed to be fun. It is rediculous that gambling tricks us into spending incredible amounts of money and claim that it is entertainment. No it's not and it never will be.

I feel great now because I didn't gamble and lose my money. I just don't like gambling my money and wasting my time on something that will destroy me both financially and emotionally.

Hopefully it continues but I know that even if I relapse again it won't stop me getting rid of them,

Tomorrow is a new day,

Til next time,

Keeton
    0 x
    Keeton

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Well I'm back to check in and evaluate. Had a full on blow out couple of days ago. wasted some money as usual. Even after that relapse the next day I didn't go back again because this was a place 30min away. I realised that it was a mistake and that it is ok because It's not the end of my journey. I am still focused on quitting and pokies cannot take that away from me.

I am getting better at resisting urges and finding replacement activities to do instead. I have come a long way and things are starting to improve. I'm a lot happier in general and am being a bit more social as well.

I also started the 100 Day challenge yesterday so I am keen to keep moving forward and not look back because gambling won't control me anymore and they can play there sounds and lights at me if i walk past but I know that it is the sound of trouble and a past behaviour I want to stay in the past.

Today I am grateful there are people out there who understand what i am going through because it a lonely addiction.

Til next time,

Keeton
    0 x
    Neve [admin]

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Keeton

Just checking in to see how you're going with your challenge?

We love receiving feedback here, and it's really great to hear that this forum is making a difference to you - in providing a place where people understand what you're going through :)

Neve
    0 x
    Keeton

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Well thought i would continue where I left off last year in posting updates in how the journey is going. I promised that I would find the real me no matter what it tooks or how long it takes.

So nearly a year since last post and even though I haven't stopped yet that doesn't mean is over. I'm confident that I can do it now. I have the support and determination that I needed. It's been up and down over the last year but that reinforced that I needed backup. I sought councelling and told people close to me. This is only just the beginning. my life awaits.

So its been two weeks gambling free and I feel great. three more days until payday and i feel that i'm ready to have my first payday gambling free Since Dec last year. Here's to saying no to gambling.
    0 x
    Elouisa

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey there Keeton welcome back... I too have slipped many times and re-joined the Challenge 8 days ago.
    So far so good (but I've been able to go for weeks & months without gambling then hit them ferociously!)
    Not any more.

I believe the machines are rigged according to the play. How many times I've gone down from max bet and then the feature finally pops up in the smaller bet. Same as running out of money and leaving machine to see someone else sits down and bingo ..

We don't need that frustration. The highs and lows are torture not fun like our brain tells us.

All the best to you and I will look forward to your posts.
    0 x
    pamela

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Welcome back Keeton..it is not an easy addiction to give up but when you are ready to it becomes easier..life is for living not fighting demons everyday so lets keep saying no to gambling and forge ahead
    0 x
    Keeton

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Well it's been quite a while since my last post, however things are going really well.

The past fews weeks have been quite an eye opener for me. I admitted to my mum that I had credit card debt to pay off. She took it quite well. She was happy that I told her the truth. I agreed to cut up the two cards I had, as I just cannot have access to credit. I'm paying them off. One is paid off which is good. I've also been seeing a councellor regularly which has been a tremendous help. I would recommend to all to get some councelling, as it's good to talk to someone faces to face about your troubles and that can assist when times are tough.

I guess that I just needed to be truely be honest with myself and others around me about how bad my gambling was. I admit i have slip ups and relapses, but I never give up the fight. There is always tomorrow to try again.

I have a holiday booked as well in june so am extremely excited that I am able to do it.

For those who need some suggestions or are just starting out I recommend to:

:cut up credit cards and arrange to pay them off
    :find a councellor who you can be honest with to talk too
    :use less cash such as using giftcards for coles and woolies so you can still buy food and fuel
    :if possible have someone hold onto half of your money so that if you relapse you haven't got access to all of it
    :be honest about your gambling to someone close to you such as a parent, friend or partner (although it can be tough, it is worth it as you don't have to hide it anymore and can get some support)
    :find other hobbies and interests to fill in your time that you enjoy or used to like
    :Highly recommend self exclusion program from the pokies room (you can also choose to do a full gambling ban)
    Ring someone in your phone contacts when you get that craving to gamble. it can be a good distraction from those thoughts. just have a chat about anything
    :Do some volunteer work to meet more people and give you a sense of purpose and maybe make new friends
    :look on youtube about gambling addiction (there is heaps of stuff), if you need suggestions just let me know?
    :Exercise regularly. either at the gym or whatever form that you choose. even something as simple as walking the dogs, helps to clear the mind.

I hope these help in your journey or recovery.

Remember that there is always next time. stay positive and best wishes to all. We can do this!

All the best

Keeton
    2 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”