Welcome to our online peer support community!
This is a place for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience & friends and family.

• Share your experience & strategies.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join the discussion today!
  • one day

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your oning recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!
    Neve [admin]

Re: one day

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Jeff
    Sounds like things are tough, I hope you're OK and just a reminder that there is the helpline 1800 858 858 if you ever need a more immediate source of support.
    But you're sounding really determined and that's great.
    Hope you have a good day.
    Neve
    0 x
    Jeff

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:43 am

Having a good morning Fridays are always well situated for an enjoyable day, no gambling on the agenda or my mind, going to enjoy the footy tonight as a spectator, luckily never have gambled in this area and not heading there. Deep breathes help with stress and being brave and tackling issues rather than letting them fester. Wise people have noted that now is not always the bet time to attack issues (if it is going to have negative impacts on relationships - that needs consideration). I'm considering - does that make me wise???

Cheers
    Jeff
    0 x
    Jeff

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:43 am

Freudian slip ??? bet = best in above post
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:26 pm

Maybe ;) ... How was the footy?...and the weekend in general...
    0 x
    Jeff

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:19 am

More thoughts, if someone decided to take offense regarding your past behavior what can you do? 1st of all does what they think really matter..well it effects family relationships that should at least supported. They are offense and therefore put in place barriers and obstacles. All I can do is give this some time. Basically I have to accept that it is there problem and not mine. I need to make amends with those who matter in my life, and others who feel offended by my past behavior that there problem and NOT mine. If they choose to be angry, offended or show me disdain in some other way I shall just play a straight bat and be wise enough to realize there are somethings I can't change
    0 x
    Jeff

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:41 am

last post did not get saved?? my fault probably. Was recording my thoughts regarding offended relative, they have taken offense at my past behavior and chosen to ostracize me indirectly by banning their children from being expose to an immoral person. Not much I can do about this - their decision, their problem. I have chosen to not avoid them and face up to them in that, I will not alter my behavior in meeting my parenting responsibilities. Don't expect any problems here - I will aim to avoid engagement in any confrontation and if necessary deescalate by leaving. I will just let some water pass under the bridge and see how things pan out (mixed metaphors are fun). Otherwise life's good, am half way through my preparation for a 1/2 marathon. Today ran 13km with no real problems - a little slow but good to do a longer distance. contemplating 230 km trail run in July. This goal is morphing slowly but remains a good challenge and focus for me. This weekend I am a family local outing to beach and playground etc that should include a n fun BBQ lunch etc
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Hey Jeff,
    Sounds like you have such a positive outlook at the moment and that you acknowledge some things will take time to rebuild. Hope you had a lovely day with the kids!
    Noah
    0 x
    Jeff

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:13 am

Pulled a calf on Saturday, which is a set back on my new compulsion ;) not really that a compulsion - depends on your perspective, running is giving me a healthy healthy past time and some endorphins to boot. Calf is a set back but did a 30 km cycle commute today and feeling good. Not attending GA this week as better half needs me home to cover for her calendar commitments. That OK have lots of interesting stuff to work on. Only real negative currently is angst over relatives who have boundary problems and are inflicting there view of corrective measures upon my wife and family. When challenged over their choices they are showing signs of degenerating into accusations of blame. I am not sure how this will pan out but given my wife favorite strategy of tacking things head on it could easily turn nasty. I need to discuss this at length with her.

cheers for now
    0 x
    Minnie

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi Jeff, I'm really sorry that things are so tough for you. Tonight I sat reading your diary knowing that your story could be mine if I do not stop gambling NOW. I have the utmost admiration for your strength in dealing with the fallout and your firm resolve to quit despite the fact that not everyone in your life is making it easy. In fact, reading your posts tonight made me actually join and speak to a councellor which is something I have been avoiding for a very long time. So thank you for sharing. I do hope that things settle down for you on your end soon and that you can get back to the business of rebuilding a good, happy life free from gambling :)
    0 x
    Jeff

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am

Nice to see comments on this post. I use this post for therapy and do not always stop to read other input. I come at it form a fairly self obsessed view, I need to capture my thoughts so that i can have some clarity on whats important. The main thing is to reassert my understand that I am a compulsive gambler and realise that I will always be at risk and plan my life accordingly. This weekend coming has family reunion stuff happening with a b day and some interactions that will be fun and possibly challenging - but more fun . Have a quite a lot to get done but thats ok will plan and work through.
    Cheer
    Jeff
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”