Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • one day

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Jeff

Re: one day

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 am

Had a day off yesterday, today is my 1st day of the working week. Need to focus on lots of tasks, have no compulsion to gamble, even though have few buck in my wallet. And THAT'S GOOD. Focus on family and friends and fun in the future. and also today - once I get some work done.....
    0 x
    Peter

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Jeff
    Today is my first step into the non gambling world. Thanks for posting your diary to inspire me to tackle this disease. I think I will have to start a diary.
    Thanks again
    Peter
    0 x
    Jeff

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 am

Hi Peter, Good luck. My journey continue and it is bumpy and then some, but gambling not an issue for me currently, precautions work and this blog helps. Admitting I am a compulsive gambler strongly focuses my attention on what I could do if I let my guard down. Currently that is not likely - so that good... trouble is it means more money in my pocket or in the bank...and three in lies a problem for the future. Oh well there are worse problems..and I plan to solve this one.

cheers
    Jeff
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:43 pm

Good to hear from you Peter and agree thanks jeff for letting us in on your journey with this issue. You raise a really important point about how money in the pocket can be sooo tempting....hope you don't mind if I ask what you think might help to keep it safe?

Looking forward to hearing how you go Peter, one step at a time...

Cheers
    0 x
    Jeff

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:58 am

to keep is safe I need systems that stop me being tempted, many of these are in place, ie have excluded myself from pubs that I live and work near, and although money is growing in account my wife has full control and is vigilant. I know I will be tempted one day by circumstances that I cannot envisage but that's not the ease currently. I believe ultimately only my continued revisiting of the issue as a potential catastrophe can offer me a level of protection against it actually happening.
    0 x
    Jeff

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:30 am

Today I have been considering guilt, shame and regret. My thoughts and feelings on these issues a complex and over coming days I shall explore further.
    0 x
    Verity [facilitator]

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on guilt, shame and regret.

My two cents? These emotions can send you in one of two directions:

-They can fester and therefore feed into your desire to gamble, by feeling the need to escape such negative emotions. You then end up in a vicious cycle.

- They can be fantastic motivators! Guilt, shame and regret are what usually drives people to seek help to control their gambling. So those negative emotions become something positive that initiates change, and starts you on a new course of action. Those feelings are our internal indicator that says "Hey, something's not right here, we need to do something about it!"

Any other thoughts from others?

Verity
    0 x
    Jeff

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 am

I'm back. Thanks Verity, I appreciate your comments. Have continued along my winding path of repairing my life post my last gambling. Now over 6mths has passed. Introspection continues. As I have week of hols I shall be putting some time into defining some of my more difficult challenges e.g trust, respect, guilt shame. Advice recieved that strikes a chord is along the lines of "its what you do today that matters". The past is gone and plans for the future will only count if I act. Otherwise they are more like dreams that disappear when my thoughts turn to others things. This brief post helps.
    Back later.
    Jeff
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi Jeff,

these are really insightful and inspiring words. Indeed, the past is irretrieveable and it's most definitely what you do today that counts. Which I think is why the GA saying 'one day at a time' is greatly helpful. Focusing on what's valuable and meaningful today can guide us in making wise choices - it seems as though this is approach is helping. Good on you :)

All the best,
    Charlotte
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”