Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Pushing forward

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Keeton

Pushing forward

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Been really tough lately because I had relapse yesterday and today. I get focused on not gambling and then i some how convince myself that I can control how much I spend, which I can't. Wish these thoughts would go away because they set me back. I've been able to resist them sometimes but they can get quite strong. I just need to next time ring the helpline because I realise I need help. I'm sick of gambling and the false hope it gives me. I was down to my last $100 today and I just went no I've had enough of this, took the money and walked out. I have better things to spend money on then those stupid poker machines. Yes I know they are only meant as entertainment but they stopped being that years ago and I just want it to stop because 4 years of them is enough.

Life is so much better without gambling and I'm a better person.
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: Pushing forward

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi Keeton,

Good on you for turning around and walking out of the venue - there are indeed better things to spend your money on! It's hard to walk away from the machines, so you did well. Relapses can feel really demoralising, but they can also be an opportunity to learn something about your pattern of gambling. Was there a particular trigger? How could you have approached the last couple of days differently?

Remember, today is a new day to start afresh :)

All the best,
    Charlotte (facilitator)
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Hey Keeton,
    I know you had a tough week...am wondering how the weekend is treating you?
    0 x
    Keeton

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:20 am

Starting to feel a bit better now I have come out of gambling haze. It's tougher that I thought to not gamble because It has become a nasty habit over the years. I get the feeling to go play the pokies and without hesitation I go and think I can win money, knowing that deep down I know that I shouldn't be anywhere near. It's hard to not play them when they are everywhere. It takes great control in order not to gamble instead of trying to control the gambling.

today is payday and it is the first time I have had money left over from last pay. while it's only like $10, it's money that is still mine and not inside a machine. But I do have money saved up for rego and other things because someone else holds on to the cash for me, which is good because I don't trust myself at the moment.

Only spent $10 over the weekend on gambling so that is good. I am getting better, but it is going to be a constant battle.
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:37 am

Hi Keeton,
    I reckon the first bit of giving up gambling can be really hard because like you said it's an ingrained habit and it can take a while to develop new habits and strategies to support the new habits. Not sure if you're seeking more support than this forum but lots of free and confidential support is out there. Including the option to call Gamblers Helpline anytime you feel like the urges a getting a bit unmanageable. I've attached a link to the delay and distract technique for your interest (you may already be practising this but though no harm in posting) :)
    http://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/re ... tting.aspx
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”