Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    M_4567

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi everyone. I have decided to keep an online, public 'base' for my year this year. It is my goal that I will be able to check in here at least once every two weeks. The second goal is that 2015 is gamble free, with the exception of Poker games under $10 with friends on the odd occasion that this occur (maybe three nights a year).
    I recently completed over 200 days gamble free. (over 6 months) Everything was really good, and still is... But I had a relapse about 2 weeks ago. I got sucked into giving online poker a go and lost $500 in 24 hours. Not a major issue financially. But I was disappointed in myself that the money was wasted and that I thought this time I could be more disciplined or something else. A few things led me to gamble, finally being debt free, caught up on financial situation, going though some personal issues and wanted the escape and a sense that I had 'beaten' the problem and this was a flutter.

The flutter was an initial deposit of $30, then 170 and then 300. The subsequent deposits for $470 are where the compulsion and problem was, a slip back into the old me, fortunately I realised what I was doing and pulled the plug and took myself out of the 24 hour 'poker playing frenzy' and $500 in the scheme of things is a much lesser relapse than i have had in the past.

Anyway, there is no point dwelling on what happened, in the scheme of things I am very happy where I am at from where I was and I have learnt from it. Ideally if I want to have this 'flutter' in the future I need to have some measures in place to avoid subsequent deposits as I had access to a few thousand at least. But we are a long way from wanting to do that just yet!

So today is the 9th day in to make 2015 a gambling free year. That is my ultimate goal, as well as working on my financial budget and savings.

Wish anyone else who is doing something similar all the best. Cheers.
    0 x
    Ben

Re: 2015

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Good luck mate.

Will be keen to read how you go.

I have found myself in similar situations in past (going gamble free for a while) but have usually let it creep back into my life to point where I am back with same problem I was trying to beat.

So will be joining you in hopefully making 2015 a punt free year! Am already up to Day 63 or of the challenge after a big (not in a good way) Spring Carnival.

Cheers for the post anyway, have found it great reading yours and other people's stories.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi Ben and M4567,
    You both sounded pretty determined to have a break from the gambling in your posts...am wondering how it's all going?
    0 x
    Ben

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Hi Anna,

Am still going strong. Onto day 72 without a punt.

However have done 100 days before when I was younger (about 6-7 years ago) and made it through fine. The test will be after. However just need to be mindful that one "harmless" punt can set me off, even if it is with mates etc.

As I said in previous post reading everyone's story and experience has been extremely helpful; it gives strength knowing there are other people out there with a similar experience.

In all am feeling extremely determined. 15 odd years of punting is enough, time to get on with life.

Cheers for checking in

Ben
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey Ben,

Great to hear, hopefully you have a few more days under your belt now too :D . I hear what you're saying about the danger time post 100 day goal. Staying mindful sounds like a good plan and remembering previous times is a good way of using those experiences positively.

Sounds like you've started the post punt life already to me :)
    0 x
    M_4567

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Month 1 down. 11 more to go.

Went on an interstate holiday over new years. No income coming in. Spent about 4k in a month as I was on holidays unpaid and am now back at work. Looked at getting a Coles mastercard, but all i have read is bad things on their balance transfers, as it is run by GE. Anyone know how the balance transfers REALLY work? May be a more legit business than GE may be a better option.

Job is going well and working hard. Not much free time now, so Feb will be a successful month.

Anyway 31 days in 2015 gamble free. It will be really motivational for me when I reach May as that would be 1 year with only one 'gambling' re-lapse of $500 and a severe cut in my losses and increase in wellbeing.

Reflecting on the month, post the interstate trip, a lot of the money was spent on investing in my year. Things for home, stocking up supplies, equipment for new job and some shopping. So the 4k debt is nothing like a gambling loss, I get value out of this stuff every day. Very important for me to remember that.

Might try to post a bit more during Feb.... Feel free to say g'day.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 pm

G'day!
    Great to hear the new year is off to a positive start for you. No gambling, job going well, feeling better and sounding determined to get to May with only the one slip. Looking forward to hearing the next installment. ;)
    0 x
    M_4567

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Pretty much half way through Feb so 1.5 months are success. 10.5 to go.

No real urges. Still some interest in general things gambling from afar. Know I can't get involved again cause it just isn't a good thing to do. Wrong personality when it comes to gambling/losing at things. Sometimes I just like to follow a few races on the rare occasion and pretend I have money on so I can see it lose :)

Been flat out at work. Going well. Money is coming in each fortnight now which is a nice change from the old work which was some here some there.

Playing some sport, Going to the gym. Cooking healthy. Life is good.

There is always just that feeling of "I've wasted so much money" in the back of my mind.... still have to use this to fuel passion against gambling.

See how we go, just checking in.

:cool:
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey There!
    Sounds like things are coming along nicely and reminding yourself of the negative consequences of gambling is a good strategy I reckon.
    Glad you checked in :)
    Noah
    0 x
    M_4567

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Well.. well... well....

Was going really well and everything was going to plan. Until I decided to go against my goal for 2015. Unsure why it no longer mattered to me. But I really didn't care about making it to the end of 2015 without a bet anymore.

I knew it was only going to be 100 $ so I thought why not.

I am feeling a bit confused.

What do I do now in terms of goal setting?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”