Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Time to quit.

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Martin

Re: Time to quit.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:30 am

Day 8
    A week has gone by, flown by really, since I last had a bet. The main problem I'm having is that my mind automatically turns to gambling whenever I hear, watch, read, or write about a sporting event. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not betting, although I don't have any problems dealing with the urges that still arise.
    My main betting activity was on horse racing, and I still have ties to horse racing through a blog that I write and a tipping service that I run. It's interesting that I'm actually enjoying studying and writing about horse racing more now that I'm not betting on it. I was prepared to give that interest away totally if I couldn't enjoy horse racing without betting on it, but I think I may be able to continue with it. Because I'm still involved with horse racing I do need to stay alert to the danger of slipping up.
    It's only been a week, and I have so long to go before I'll begin to see the financial benefits of not betting but there are other benefits of not spending all my time thinking about betting. I've been able to focus more on my work this week, and I'm able to give my kids more of my time.
    Things are going well.

Hi Doug,
    The title of my thread is "Time To Quit", and my name is "Martin". I think you might've confused the two. Doesn't matter, maybe I'll change my name if I can't quit this time 😉
    0 x
    Martin

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Just checking in, having a read of other posts.
    It's 2 weeks and 2 days since I had a bet and all is well 👼
    0 x
    Keeton

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Well done Martin. It must feel good to be gamble free for that amount of time. People don't realise how hard it is for a problem gambler to not gamble. Any day we don't gamble is considered progress. While we may slip up, it is crucial we don't give up giving up because in the end we are the only ones who can stop gambling.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”