Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Time to quit.

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Re: Time to quit.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:53 pm

I think I'm in a reflective frame of mind tonight as I post...perhaps its the fact another year is ending.. Your post have made me think how useful it can be to adopt the position of observation and to get out of the autopilot mode particularly when comes to experiencing urges. Thanks Martin.
    0 x
    doug

Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi Time to quit.
    its time for you to quit ,, lol.. all the best to you..
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Martin wrote:Day 2
    Things that trigger the urge to gamble:
    1. Financial stress.
    The mind is cluttered with thoughts of loan repayments, trying to juggle more bills than I can afford to pay, and trying to work out how I will afford simple day to day expenses. All these things bring on the urge to risk the money I have and go for the big win.

2. Boredom.
    Gambling has so many aspects to it. The adrenaline rush, the mathematical intricacies of the betting markets, the handicapping of a horse race or sports contest, the pitting of wits between punter and bookmaker, the possible financial rewards for getting it right.
    All that has been such an integral part of my life for so long, and I'm not sure anything can ever replace it.

3. Habit.
    Gambling has become almost like breathing to me. From the moment I wake up and check overnight sport and racing results, and then through the whole day, either actually betting or spending time analysing an upcoming event, devising betting systems and staking plans, to when I eventually get to sleep, usually with the sound of Internet radio in my ears, I'm constantly involved with gambling on some level or another.
    Just listening to the cricket today I have to keep checking myself from thinking about the game from a betting angle.
    Hey Martin,
    I like the idea of audio books - If you like the idea of informal education... I'm wondering if you'd consider downloading podcasts? Radio National is a favourite of mine as well as radio lab. Here a links if you want to check em out :) There's an ABC app you can download that will let you listen to programs on your smart phone http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/
    or Radio Lab http://www.radiolab.org/
    Happy New Year!!
    Noah
    0 x
    Martin

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 am

Day 4
    Great to get some feedback from other members here. Thanks guys.
    Noah,
    I have registered on an online site where I can download unlimited audio books for a set fee per month, so I'll be taking advantage of that as well as following your suggestion of downloading podcasts. There is so much available on the net these days that I don't think I'll be stuck for something interesting to listen to.
    Anna,
    Today I've probably had the strongest urges to gamble since I had my last bet on Sat night/Sun morning. Using this method of just watching how strong these urges are, watching the effects they are having on me, and just observing how long they last with a kind of detached interest is working well for me. I'm not going to be able to stop the urges, so by accepting them and living through them without reacting to them seems to be the best way of dealing with them.

I do need to be on the alert for when the urges sometimes appear without a trigger and take me by surprise. That is probably the habit aspect of the gambling coming to the fore, but in general I'm doing well.

Unfortunately I may not be able to post as often as I wanted to.
    I'm having issues with logging in here. I've had to make a new account the last twice that I've posted (you can see that this post and my last are both Post #1 by Martin as they have been under new accounts). I've asked support here about the issue but couldn't get it resolved. Every new account requires a different email address and then there's the questionnaire etc. I do very much want to continue posting though so I will go through the process every now and again.
    Thanks again to everyone here, and all the best for 2015.
    Martin.
    0 x
    Keeton

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Hey Martin,

Happy new year to you and what a good way for you to start by tackling your gambling urges. I agree in that we need to analyse them and be ready when they strike at your most vulnerable. We just have to keep moving forward and to not give up the fight.

best wishes,

Keeton
    0 x
    Martin

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Happy New Year to you too Keeton.
    This can be a tough time of the year for people with addictions/problems.
    Hopefully all on here have a safe 2015 and keep working towards their goals.
    0 x
    Neve [admin]

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:38 am

Martin wrote:Day 4
    Great to get some feedback from other members here. Thanks guys.
    Noah,
    I have registered on an online site where I can download unlimited audio books for a set fee per month, so I'll be taking advantage of that as well as following your suggestion of downloading podcasts. There is so much available on the net these days that I don't think I'll be stuck for something interesting to listen to.
    Anna,
    Today I've probably had the strongest urges to gamble since I had my last bet on Sat night/Sun morning. Using this method of just watching how strong these urges are, watching the effects they are having on me, and just observing how long they last with a kind of detached interest is working well for me. I'm not going to be able to stop the urges, so by accepting them and living through them without reacting to them seems to be the best way of dealing with them.

I do need to be on the alert for when the urges sometimes appear without a trigger and take me by surprise. That is probably the habit aspect of the gambling coming to the fore, but in general I'm doing well.

Unfortunately I may not be able to post as often as I wanted to.
    I'm having issues with logging in here. I've had to make a new account the last twice that I've posted (you can see that this post and my last are both Post #1 by Martin as they have been under new accounts). I've asked support here about the issue but couldn't get it resolved. Every new account requires a different email address and then there's the questionnaire etc. I do very much want to continue posting though so I will go through the process every now and again.
    Thanks again to everyone here, and all the best for 2015.
    Martin.
    Hi Martin
    Sorry to hear you've had some difficulties with logging on here. Just wanted you to know that I will follow that up for you, I've also sent you a private message.
    Regards
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Great to hear that the position of observation is working well for you. I really hope the log in issues get fixed soon.
    0 x
    doug

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi All
    I am having a hard time knowing who I am replying to here?
    Whoever it is, my best to you.
    0 x
    doug

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:17 pm

I mean is time to quit Martin ?
    thanks..
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”