Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • The Withdrawal Wake Up

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: The Withdrawal Wake Up

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:05 am

Hi Tanya,

You are right to be proud - it sounds like you've been going well with your goals and that you've been riding the urge to gamble rather than giving in to it. This is great to hear, as each time you successfully ride that urge, the more the urges begin to reduce in frequency and strength. It's also great to hear that you're going to be pursuing your passion for archaeology - this has the potential to be hugely enriching for you, and yes, much more important than gambling!

All the best with the start of uni :)
    Charlotte (facilitator)
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Fantastic news Tanya....sounds like exciting times ahead. Look forward to hearing how it's going :)
    0 x
    Tanya

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:50 am

Woke up and realised I hadn't really thought about gambling in over a month!

I started uni and just love exercising my brain. It's challenging sure, but it is such a positive experience.

I used to play a lot of fake/free pokies online (safer than going to a venue and wasting my hard earned cash) but even those don't have the same appeal!

I am still suffering with my injury but it isn't who I am as a human.

Have even been able to hang out with friends and family without feeling the constant tug of 'come on just one more win'.

Very proud of myself.
    0 x
    AmandaB

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:44 pm

Well done Tanya, I blocked all of the slot games on facebook as they made me think about gambling more
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Great to hear ...that's huge to have not thought about gambling for a MONTH! Wow....I imagine you probably wouldnt have thought that possible a few months a go :) ....It's great to read posts where people are noticing and taking such positive steps - great idea to block the facebook ads too AmandaB :D
    0 x
    Tanya

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 pm

We are now at the end of July and I am super proud to say I haven't gambled once since I began this journey!

I am in uni studying a field I am thoroughly enjoying. It's been challenging but I love it. Surprising myself with A's in most subjects and got praised so much for one class they recommended I keep going to achieve an honours year for my very original and researchef work on ancient Greece and middle ages Britain.

I have met a man I hope to spend my life with and, whilst my health with my back is incredibly difficult, I am happy to be free of my monster. I know it's always there, though even at my lowest points since I quit gambling, playing pokies has not been the first thing on my mind....only a passing moment where I remember what a crutch gambling was for me.

Still a long way to go financially though I am getting there.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:33 pm

And so you should be SUPER proud :D
    Great to read your post and see how much life has to offer when the gambling moves over and let's life in!!
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”