Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Cycle

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Linda6

Cycle

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi Everyone

I have an addiction to the poker machines and today as an example I blew my wages once again and have being doing that for on and off for the last 10 months. So why do I do it, well because I keep chasing the losses instead of saying okay and let it go. Well today I am saying that and enough is enough.
    Now can I have some suggestions on how, I asked my step-father to take my debit cards and he is not keen. He wants me to do it myself and as I am sure you know it ain't that easy. Now I could cut my debit card up, put my weekly spending money in another card and then cut up my main card? Anyone else got any other suggestions, I don't have any other family or friends I could trust with this either?

Ta-Linda
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: Cycle

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Hey Linda, our guest financial counsellor earlier in the year spoke about a dual account system similar to what you mentioned here - you can read about that here.

@Mona58 from memory you recommend carrying only the cash you need, right?

Does anyone else have tips on what's worked for them to help out Linda?
    0 x
    Mona58

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi,

Yes only carry maximum of $20 cash, Have two accounts, different banks, one card stays home and other usually maximum of $100 for spending.

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Linda6

Re: Day 6

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi

Well I have money in my wallet and a little in the bank, so that feels good.

I got the urge on Saturday after visiting my Dad in hospital, so that is a trigger, but I talked myself down, in as much by admitting that it was okay to be scared and worried and that gambling and trying to escape that way was not the way to go. Anyways it worked and he is recovering and coming home tomorrow.

See yeah - L
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 pm

@@Linda6

Well done.

Gaining insights into your thinking is a great sign of gaining control again.

Take care.
    dragon007
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”