Welcome to our online peer support community!
This is a place for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience, friends and family. It's a great place to make friends and connect with peers, keep track of your recovery efforts, be inspired and motivated by others, be liberated, share your strategies and help others.

Drop in and join the discussion today!

One addiction to another

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your oning recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!
kez

One addiction to another

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to this site, this is my first post.

I have been an on and off pokie addict for the last 15 years. Around 7 years ago after finding myself in 80k credit card debt I went through every bank statement over a 12 month period and found I had spend 50k in 12 months. This was a massive sting and was enough motivation for me to take action. I sort help and managed to get on top of my habit - however I started drinking heavily. Long story short I now have 3 years recovery under my belt from drinking, in that time I have had a few but manageable pokie blow ups again. Now I have decided to quit cigarettes and the pokie cravings are full blown. I find it difficult to not lean on some kind of crutch in times of stress/boredom. In the last 6 months I've started spending an average of $600 per month. This is huge for us as we are saving for a deposit for a house :-( today I spent $600 in one day. I can feel it all creeping back again. I know I cant just gamble 'a little' it always ends up in a binge especially after a decent win. The problem is, I cant remind myself of that when the stress related cravings hit, no matter how hard I try and what strategies I have put into place. When the moment strikes- I'm back there! Looking to see how others have remained abstinence, what support networks they use ect. GA wasn't for me unfortunately :(
1 x
Calvin (facilitator)

Re: One addiction to another

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 am

Hey there Kez!
I'm Calvin one of the facilitators.
Welcome to the forums and good on you for reaching out !
I think you'll find that many other members share similar experiences and its a good place to receive some advice and support.
The relationship between gambling and ourselves can feel like a really toxic cycle and very back and forth.
GA meetings aren't for everyone and that's fine, its important to find what works for you as an individual.
There is gambling counselling/financial counselling that you can access for free which is a more one on one basis which can be helpful.
Stress is a very common urge that people experience. Is there any other healthier alternatives/activities/hobbies that you enjoy that you can try in the mean time?

Kind regards,

Calvin.
1 x
kez

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:53 am

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for your reply.

It's good to hear that stress is a common factor and I'm not the only one.

I do mindfulness, exercise, cooking ect but sometimes when the strong stress urge hits I want a bigger escape. I'm thinking that's when I could call gamblers help. I have been looking at problem gambling videos online which has also been helpful.

Kez
2 x
How the F did I get here

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Hey Kez,

Welcome to the forum, you will get lots of support here. What's more is simply reading everyones posts seems to help many of us here.

I joined this site about 9 mths ago as I've been trying to quit this past year. Got to like 74 days of 100 day challenge and then broke and have only just come back now, I'm about 28 days now.

All the best,
1 x
Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi Kez,

Mindfulness activities are great ways to really bring down stress levels. Even some physical activities or other hobbies you may enjoy.

Patience is key. Try to find different ways that work for you. You gain power over the habit of gambling through how you respond and react to urges that may come up.

Kind regards,

Calvin
1 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”