Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Day 1, Fighting for my freedom

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    suz-free

Re: Day 1, Fighting for my freedom

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi Catherine,
    yes, we can do this together. I understand totally how you feel. This morning I said out "I hate the pokies". I'm feeling stronger today, I'm expecting that the urges might creep in with this challenge but I've had enough - I'm suffering so much in my finances since blowing a lot of it 7 days ago & in the past 5 years.
    I've had to take out a small loan, & burrow from partner & from my family some cash to help me this week. If I didn't have my family I'm not sure where I'd be, maybe homeless on the streets! It's such a warning sign that I need to urgently stop gambling & work on myself.
    My advice is to say every day that you hate the pokies too, remind yourself of the losses it causes & that you can't get it back. Start each day as a new day to becoming stronger.
    Suzy at day 7
    0 x
    suz-free

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Wow, day 14 here & have not gone pokies in the last 2 weeks. So far I've had 2 urges. One was today while out at shops but I kept reminding myself I'm so sick of losing, it worked and then the urge left me. A tear came upon me because I'm still struggling with finances today thanks to the big blow of money lost 2 weeks ago & last 5 years to those rotten machines. I ran out of money today due to a pay day loan coming out. Lucky I have a partner who will help me with a bit if I need it. I needed to eat some late lunch today and had a migraine come on while out. I asked him to transfer me 20, enough for my migraine pills & food to eat. So I'm still feeling sad about finances but on the flip side, hopefully my finances will improve now that I've made a choice not to gamble it
    0 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:42 am

Hi suz-free

Well done on your 14 days.

I found a documentary called Ka-ching Pokie nation really eye opening when it comes to electronic gaming machines, you can find parts of it on Youtube.

dragon007
    facilitator
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”