Sitting here

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: Sitting here

Postby Mona58 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:04 am

Well done Donna & Suzy! Keep going Strong !
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby suz-free » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Donna,
good to see you back here for update. I'm now 21 days pokies free and I totally understand about the craving, I am getting some of those feelings too. The other day I went to a venue to use them like they did me in the past :) I needed coffee after some shopping and got a free one there, but I didn't play pokies. I felt sad of not being able to play them for a few seconds but then I felt good that I am committed with the 100 day challenge and not losing loads of money. After I finished the coffee I walked out again, I felt empowered :)
I'm sure these feelings will come on us from time to time but we just have to remind ourselves that it's a better feeling of not losing and that we are in control. I'm also sure things will get better for both of us, keep strong. Suzy x
suz-free

Postby Donna1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Update : Words of encouragement needed.

Just a quick update to say that I still haven't played the pokies. Not because I didn't want to believe me, it's only because my husband has been keeping me on track and cashless. I'm having terrible withdrawal though...I am missing it and having such craving for it. ..
Donna1

Postby suz-free » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks mona, really appreciate your kind words. Today is day 1 for me but I will start another post about this that you can visit my progress on. I'm going to need supporters like you 😊
suz-free

Postby Mona58 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Well done Donna & Suzy! I'm in your corner!

Be strong! You CAN DO IT! Fight those pesky urges! They are / can be mentally and physically draining! BUT after fighting off a few of them it becomes easier! It is hard... you are right Suzy that's why its called a challenge!!

All the best on your journey!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby suz-free » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Hey Donna :)
your welcome. You can be my inspiration of quitting pokies. I'm starting the 100 day challenge as of tomorrow. If I can make it to 2 weeks like you, I'll have to buy myself a nice breakfast out and I will think of you. I will remember that when I first wrote to you here, you were at 2 weeks and now I'm getting there :) I'm excited to start my challenge, and bit nervous too about my sudden urges that might hit along the way but I guess that's why they call it a 'challenge' and I'm going to challenge myself. I already did a post recently about being fed up with the pokies. Now it's time for me to take action and beat the pokies habit. I'm so glad to have friends like you here, we can do this together. Suzy 💜💜💜
suz-free

Postby Donna1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to those that reply to my post Thank you 💕
Donna1

Postby Oregon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi Donna,

Don't be ashamed to tell your husband that you are having these urges, getting it off your chest might be beneficial. I know that keeping my addiction a secret made it much worse.

At least you were able to walk away without going into the pokie room but just make sure you don't go back to that coffee place alone or if you do, just take enough money for your coffee (and muffin).

2 weeks is great but it's going to be a few more weeks before the bad urges pass and they will never be gone for good. :( You just gotta keep on top of them.

-Oregon
Gamble free since 29.05.18
Oregon

Postby Donna1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Hey thanks for that, it sure is a struggle. You wouldn't think you would have withdrawals but ya sure do. I've been having headaches but I have so far not played the pokies for... I'm not sure how long but maybe 2 weeks. My secret at the moment is; as soon as my pay hits the bank it's out again to pay bills. I have no cash to spend. It sucks not having any money but it's my own fault. I'm hoping that I can keep that in mind......and remember how dire it makes me feel playing the pokies.

D.
Donna1

Postby suz-free » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am

That will be happening to me soon with my urges, but we have to stay strong. I had a rough day yesterday, I went to the pokie venue yesterday. Wish I didn't because I lost the rest of my money there, even though I won a minor of 70, I put it back in the next machine and walked out empty and in tears, I rang gambling help line outside as I was so done, sick, and emotional. Believe me, you are better off not going. I've made a descision I have to stop but I know I will be battling my urges, have to keep reminding myself of what happened yesterday, that awful way I felt when I left empty. So my advice, keep your money in your pocket and stay strong, they're just not worth that horrible feeling you get afterwards. Buy yourself a reward presi instead. Having breakfast with hubby is so much better 😊
suz-free

Next

Return to Your Diary of Recovery