The beginning

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: The beginning

Postby Mona58 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am

Hi Ryan

It is not easy to know what to say. You know what you have to do. Gambling is programmed to be addictive. It is a trap we cannot get out of once we fall into it...our only solution is to stop completely. And we need to be on our guard all our life. You are young and have your whole life ahead.

Read posts, read about problem gambling, Keep posting. Others will pop in now and then to offer advice. l am still learning to stay gamble free and it is ok now but am still a bit scared of paydays. Paydays send me into a frenzy of emotions by learning to accept them they ease after a short time... however it doesn't feel short when they happen.

See a counsellor at Uni. Ring the Gambling Help Hotline 1800 858 858 if you have to,

Try not to dwell on what is gone and look to the future . You had done well those 6 months and you will again. Gambling does not define you as a person.

Stay strong and Keep posting it does help

Mona in day 38 GF
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

The beginning

Postby Ryzah9 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm

My name is Ryan, I am 24 and work part time while I study. So over the past 2 days I relapsed... and badly. I had been without gambling for nearly 6 months and today that all changed. Recently I managed to claim a nice pay out from an ongoing lawsuit I was involved in and I had managed to save up a nice amount of money for a holiday I had been planning come January but today was a new day, a dark day. I lost nearly all of it, I was making bets I wouldnt had ever thought I could make previously in order to try and 'make back my losses' as I was bound for a win soon right? Well no, it never come and now I have got less that one 6th of what I had saved up and in my bank at the beginning of the day. I couldnt stop... only until I had a meltdown after my last loss and absolutely freaked out, asking myself what have I done? Why am I doing this? What kind of person am I? And now as I type this out my ever so amazing girlfriend messages me and asks how I am going, oblivious to the fact.

So here I am, practically with nothing, scared, tired and feeling absolutely helpless. Day 1 of a journey that I feel will be a long yet lonely one.
If anyone has any ideas or helpful messages for me I am all ears, it cant get any worse than this right?
Ryzah9

Previous

Return to Your Diary of Recovery