The beginning

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: The beginning

Postby FG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 am

Hi Ryan
I’m new here myself , that being the case I am not experienced enough to be giving advice , just wanted to let you know that you are not alone .
Regards FG
FG

Postby Mona58 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 am

Welcome to the forum Maro.

You have started. You knew that you need help and this is the start. It is hard to open up to strangers. We are not strangers to the gambling addiction. Read other peoples posts... daily if you can... and you will find your OWN story written many times.

We are here to support you as only we understand, The forum does get quiet at times... don't let that stop you. take the opportunity to read other stories or read the information on the website.

I find the SMS support helpful and often refer back to them to remind me that l have a gambling problem.

Mona in day 61
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Maro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm

This is my first time here i need to change i feel like im letting down everyone in my life and just want to make them proud again i am not able to control it anymore and dont know where to start
Maro

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 am

Keep up the good work.

Keep that holiday in mind. You CAN save and reap the rewards.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Springhope17 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi there,

Its great that you have something to work towards! Trying to save as much as possible for the holiday, Every time you get the urge start thinking about the holiday and when you lose which we all do in the end then that wont be able to happen.

Great work on 2 weeks! Remain strong and dont give in to those urges!
Springhope17

Postby Mona58 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Ryzah '

Good of you to pop in let us know how your doing. Yes those urges are really hard at the beginning. Whatever you think don't give in to them. Keep thinking how much better off you will be without gambling... that sense of purpose will soon override the urges.

The journey doesn't have to be a lonely one.. Ring Gamb helpline if it gets overwhelming. Letting it out helps take some stress off. Theres a lot of help out there. Gamblers Anonymous meetings are good places to meet other understanding people, I do understand it may not suit everyone. But everything is worth a try.

Well done on 2 weeks! Thats fabulous.

Keep strong!

Mona in day 53 GF
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Ryzah9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Well today marks 2 weeks and still clean! Thats the good news, bad news is, today is my first pay day and I find it very unpleasant how much the urge is kicking in especially now that I have actually noticed the money come into my account. I know I cant gamble... not only am I excluded from what I'd say is, 'every' online betting platform but its also not the time, I need to abstain and stay on this new path.
I am waking up with more of a sense of purpose, I know I have to get back to the grind and work my *** off and try to value every dollar. I have even began to budget my money rather tightly in the hope I can save up some money to make my holiday possible.
I am very grateful of you all posting on here! Its nice to know someone has my back
Ryzah9

Postby Jeddie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 am

Also you are absolutely not lonely when you are on here. It’s a great forum and always someone on to cry/laugh/celebrate with
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Jeddie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:43 am

How are you going Ryan, keep talking to us so we can all support you. Nothing is as bad as when you first joined us here. You are amongs a whole lot of friends and people who understand how you feel. I personally don’t understand such big losses but many people here will know how you are feeling. Hope to hear from you soon.

63 days GF
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Catherine1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 pm

To Ryan,

We have all been where you are today, after a huge binge. That sick in the guts feeling when you have blown a huge amount of dough. Its almost senseless to think I earn $37 an hour at work but in the past could blow $1000 in an hour on the pokies. When you are thinking logically this doesnt make sense. The trouble is when you are in pokie mode, you dont seem to have any sense. I have been trying to give up for a few months now. It isnt easy but i can tell you it is so worth it. All i can suggest is limit your access to cash. No cash = no play. I have reduced all my atm withdrawl limits to $100. Unfortunately you cant get your holiday money back. You will need to forget about your loss so you can move forward. The good thing is that you are still young and can stop this before it ruins your life. All the best with your challenge. If you come to this site often, it makes to realise you are not the only person going through this. This site can give you a lot of support, especially if you are not willing to tell someone close to you about your gambling problems.
Catherine1

Next

Return to Your Diary of Recovery