Quitting Again

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: Quitting Again

Postby Chunkyquitter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Mu initial injury just wouldn’t get better. I’d tried everything, then I stumbled across Dr John Sarno and learnt about TMS.
If you’ve tried everything for back oain and there is no specific cause and it just won’t get better you need to research this, I’ve gone from chronic pain sufferer to training at the gym a week later.

Ye power of the mind is amazing
Chunkyquitter

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi Chunkyquitter,

Congratulations for being gambling free. Great work.

It must have been difficult to open up to your counselor. I find it's always the difficult things that are the most helpful.

Glad to hear that your injury is on the mend.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Jeddie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 am

Wow, Chunkyquitter. I’m reading your story for the first time. Well done on how far you have come..keep up the great work 😀

64 days Gf
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Chunkyquitter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Just checking in guys. Been a great 10 months, still injured but better than I was last year. Financially I'm better than I was last year.

Spoke to my councillor, told him all my stuff and how I felt. Pretty much explained to me earlier life events have led me to punish myself. Anyway feeling good and gambling free
Chunkyquitter

Postby Noah (facilitator) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi Chunks,
I'm Noah, one of the facilitators with forum. I just wanted to add to Annnie's brilliant description of financial counselling - that the service is completely free of charge and if they are negotiating with creditors on your behalf, they do not disclose that they are calling from a gamblers help agency so that your privacy is protected. If you have any other questions about gambling help financial counselling, you can call 1800 858 858 and talk to someone anonymously. They can also give you the details of your closest service.
Noah (facilitator)

Postby annnie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,
I have been receiving financial counselling through gamblers help for some time. The first session is about listing income & expenses and also adding debt repayments to the list. We can do this ourselves but the counsellor can negotiate with creditors to work out a more manageable repayment plan. I no longer get letters or phone calls for payment and thus reduces stress.. There is so much a financial counsellor can offer you. We are having phone sessions now so I save $10 on the fuel. I ask people to call me back to save phone credit there are lots of tips given but it is important that you are honest, don't hide any bills/debts no matter how large as that won't benefit anyone or allow you to work through this and believe me they have seen it all. Their support is invaluable.

Hope this helps, take care.
annnie

Postby Chunkyquitter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Anyone explain for the debt councilling worked for them?
Chunkyquitter

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi Chunks,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Debt can be a big barrier and burden for people to overcome, but I want you to remember that you don't have to do it alone. There is support through a number of agencies and the people on here are really amazing to talk to, and ask for advice. If you feel that you want to talk to someone to get advice on how to manage or consolidate your debt, call gamblers help, or ask people on the forum for advice.

Good luck mate

Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby pamela » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:12 am

Hi Chunks..thanks for sharing your story with us..we are all here because we want to stop and we all have similar stories.Stopping is not easy but even making the decision seems to lift a huge weight.The financial rewards of stopping take a long time to show any benefit but every day of being gamble free stops adding to the problem.It doesnt take long before you regain your self esteem and can actually enjoy your life..I found that you cant dwell on the past and the damage you did because it is in the past ..My mantra is "I cant change my past but I can shape my future"..only look forward and take one day at a time..get any available help and if you want to stop and turn your life around ,then you will..good luck
pamela

Postby Chunkyquitter » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Yes there was very significant event as a teenager that wasn't really dealt with at the time. It shapes my behaviour and probably has a lot to do with issues now. I also carry guilt and punish myself for my actions even though most people feel the actions I took ended the problems( I can't really elaborate as it would identify myself to anyone who knows me). but definitely a situation most 17 year old should not have to face.
Thanks for your support. I have remained gambling free for the day but have had massive headaches probably for the fact I feel the weight of the debt, the confidence of quitting means you know there is no way you/can win your way out of debt. But hey it won't increase either.
Chunkyquitter

Next

Return to Your Diary of Recovery