Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • fresh start

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    edward

fresh start

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:04 pm

:eek: im 23 and have had a problem with gambling for the past few years it started out pokies but quickly changed to online sports bets I have a great wife who does not deserve me wasting our hard earned money im tired of lying to her I really want to stop I have started my first steps to help my gambling problem really want to get back to being my self
    0 x
    shashfor

Re: fresh start

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:17 am

You can do it, don't leave it till your late 40's like me, seek the help now, like I have now done.
    0 x
    Simon

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Edward,

Similar to Shashfor's comment, I too am in my 40's and wish I had done something about it at 23. It's great that you are getting help now, you should use me as a cautionary tale as to what can happen if you don't address it! All the best mate, it helps to come to this site and read other peoples stories and comments.
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:41 am

Couldn't agree with you guys more. I have been a problem gambler since I was 35, and am now 53. I have had some periods of up to 2 and 1/2 years gambling free, and then relapsed. I am now facing the triggers and urges that have led to relapse. If I can do it anyone can, believe me. 123 days today. We all can do this.....One day at a time.....then one day more.
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:43 am

Hi Edward......You have come to the right place for help. I only got really serious about quitting when I joined the forum and the 100 Day Challenge. It gives that goal to work toward, and after a while the urges weaken. Stay strong in the early days, it is so worth it. My best wishes to you, and welcome :D :D
    0 x
    Catherine1

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Edward. All the best with your challenge. It will be hard but it will be worth it. I am also in my 40's and I have had a gambling problem for at least 6 years but I have had enough of pokies. The fact you are young, and that you can now nip this problem in the bud before it gets any worse. Try to limit the access you have to your money (Ie: Reduce the atm withdrawal limit on your cards). Then if you do happen to have a mishap you can't do too much damage because you can't gamble if you don't have access to money. Use this forum as a tool to help you get through this. You can do it.
    0 x
    edward

Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:02 am

Thanks everyone for the tips and support I no that I will be able to break this habit just gotta focus on what I can achieve by stopping this now and remember how I feel when I've lost to much 😀 so ive started my 100 days as of the 1st of june
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Edward.....well done mate......my best wishes for your challenge......keep us posted how you are doing..It is wonderful to hear how positive you are......stay strong..... :D :D
    0 x
    edward

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 am

Just a catch up on how I'm going, its been 3 weeks since I accepted my problem with gambling and I'm going very well. I'm feeling good about what I can do if I just stick to my guns and be strong. Strategies I've been using are restricting my self in being alone, if I am alone keeping my mind occupied by playing video games. I have had some struggles being that only my parents know about my problem so when im with my wifes step father he likes to punt and chat punting so thats been a challenge in its self but its getting alot more better talk about it with him without the urge to gamble. Been 20 days 80 to go thanks 😆
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 am

Hi Edward.well done with your challenge so far..keep strong and focused and there will always be someone or something that reminds us of gambling but its like giving up smoking..there will always be someone who smokes..just have to remain resolute and let them lose their money while you keep yours..
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”