Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • what are are the financial strategies you use to manage your money better?

Share some strategies when trying to quit or cut down on gambling. What works for you?
    Jeddie

Re: what are are the financial strategies you use to manage

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

0 x
    IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
    George Bernard Shaw
    SistaB

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:39 pm

If you have a smart phone - Apple Pay or the android version I have found is very effective.

You scan add your debit card to the wallet feature and paywave your phone to make purchases. The card details are not kept on the phone but the device is registered with your bank. Iphone lets you use your fingerprint for authorisation.

Credit cards should be cut up, paid off and cancelled!!!

Lock your cards away at home and then you dont have access to withdraw cash. Just be mindful of places that may charge a minimum eftpos fee etc.

With the digital age you can pretty much electronically pay for anything so you should never need to use cash. Alternatively once a week withdraw $50 cash lock away the card.
    0 x
    shaun1

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:44 pm

I seriously think if u have ANY credit cards, $1000 limit or even $500, get rid of it! as fast as possible!

If you don't have the money to buy something then don't buy it! only if your serious about quitting gambling...
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Re: what are are the financial strategies you use to manage your money better?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm

And if you do, do balance transfers for goodness sake close the accounts of the credit cards that have been wiped!
    1 x
    JAPAZ

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 pm

1 Try and set up any repayments/bills you have to come out as soon as you get paid.

2 Send your cashflow to a bank that you do not have a card for. You will only recall money back from it when you know you need it within 1-3 days (accounting for the time to transfer it back to your everyday account).

3 Obviously do grocery shopping first.

4 Don't over analyse the mountain of debt ahead because you have to master the short-term, and some self control, before you venture off into more long-term and sustainable ways to tackle debt. Looking at that debt every second will only bring up the temptation to do something risky and illogical.

5 Do something creative as a hobby or a career. I wouldn't say go out and write a book to try and make a mint of money (because if you are only in it for the money, it probably won't work). But don't be surprised if you invest your time and passion into something creative that it may not also benefit you financially at a later date. Maybe you even want to write something about gambling addiction or depression? People need your wisdom!

6 Don't live so strict because of your debts. Plan your budget which accounts for social activities with friends. This may seem counter-productive, but we are humans, and we are social creatures. If you try to live to a beggar to pay your debts sooner, you are likely to relapse the way any person giving something up would. Plus remember, if you were still gambling, you'd be spend 10 times more than this dinner you are treating yourself to.
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Amazing list @JAPAZ - thank you for sharing!
    2 x
    microwave

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am

Being told I needed to stick to a budget didn't help. I wanted to rebel against it. There are some financial services that offer counselling for free but it's short term and they offer advice on what to do about large financial issues as well. I felt like I'd never be happy again, and life was going to be miserable and coping with my crappy feelings and low self esteem every day.

When my mood drops, I seek out a high from borrowing or spending money as well but then it tarnishes the relationship (or the relationship I have with myself- self-esteem loss) and it's isolating. You push people away and more dramas you have to deal with later accumulates. I'm trying to do it at my own pace and find what's helpful to me, whilst understanding what my triggers are.

I think you need to be empathetic and caring towards yourself at the same time as having practical strategies and work on whatever it is that creates that void within you that is always throwing things away to get a sense of fulfilment/happiness. It's like something's driving you to sabotage your own autonomy and pulling apart the foundations of your life so if anything goes wrong and you need the money you won't cope.

Also, it's normal for your feelings to be out of synch with the reality of what's going on. For example, saving money (or doing anything positive towards change) can make you feel awful, hopeless, depressed, pissed off.. something's wrong. You have the opposite reaction subconsciously and you act on it consciously by sabotaging what you've saved and what you've done to help yourself.
    1 x

Return to “Strategies for Change”