Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Activities to do instead of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Angelina.

RE: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:37 am

Hi Amanda !

Central coast!...what about surfing or running along the beach? Or even yoga on the beach. You never know, you may find yourself a hot young stud (haha)

I find being around 'like-minded' people very therapeutic; and research would support this. When we share ideas and values with others (that feeling of 'acceptance'), our brains and bodies operate at a much healthier level.

Check this link for the curious mind: http://kungfu.psy.cmu.edu/~scohen/CohGotUnd2000.pdf

Ideas ideas?

Keep in touch!

Warm regards
    Angelina
    0 x
    AmandaB

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:59 am

I have found some nice "like minded" groups here ( I am gay), that has been wonderful to have some social dates on the calender. Walking on the beach is something I like doing as well.

Going to get myself a kayak and do a bit of that. Also found a drumming class that happens right after work on a weekday which I will do, I find I need to break the week up or it gets too tedious.

Next year I will be buying a house, so that should keep me busy for a while.

No way around the not planning, I have to think what I might like to do next weekend and ring people at least a week before to organise it. I use to avoid that in case when the time came I didn't feel like it. Life revolving around impulsivity and urges, you could say.

cheers
    0 x
    Angelina.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Amanda,

Excellent ideas- thanks for sharing (and apologies for late reply).

I am envious of the idea of kayaking locally haha Sounds like there are beautiful things you have to appreciate in your area and beyond!

Buying a house, why yes, a very relevant & painfully (he) rewarding goal. What area are you thinking of buying in? Or do you already made offers? Do you have a financial plan in place?

Warm regards and happy new year
    Angelina
    0 x
    red3

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm

hi

i read alot of books online as my sight is not good enough for the paper books the prints way too small

i watch a lot of shows on my laptop

i love to cook and try new things,even though my kids wont eat them lol

i walk alot as i dont drive yet still on my L.my oldest is giving me lessons when he can

im always looking up recipes to try out.that can take all day lol

i go out to my cats avery and talk to them and just pat them,its soothing and they love attention

i clean my house from top to bottom every day just to keep busy but it only take a few hours as its a small place

i sweep leaves of our property every 2 days if its not to hot and this take about an hour

i have a full home gym including weight sections and large boxing bag(hope to get back to workouts shortly)

i loved zumba but had to give it away as it done my knees in(that was a nice social aspect but once you stop they dont socilise with you anymore)

gonna find me a really exciting challenging hobby still looking(but i am looking into the sand art it sounds fascinating)

nat
    0 x
    Angelina.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:53 am

Dear Nat,

Wow, what a busy woman you are indeed! AND, looking for a further challenge? Good on you

Sand art sounds very interesting! Would you educating me as to what this involves ?

Warm regards
    Angelina
    0 x
    red3

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:28 pm

hi

take family to local swimming pools

read lots of books

watch lots of tv series in a row

make a nice food treat for the family(i made garlic and herb salt chicken breast & lettuce wraps)YUMMY

go for long walks not near any clubs

spend time with pets just patting them relaxes you(my 2 big cats love this)

work out in home gym(got one set up just need to get more motivated to use it)

put the radio on and dance and sing along(i do this alot the kids dont like it but it cheers me up LOL)

sand painting(im looking into doing sand painting and pictures)it looks fascinating

lots of researching different things online it can take me all day lol

finding recipes to cook(can take all day as well lots of great sites)

nat
    0 x
    red3

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm

hi angelina

from what ive been reading it like making a picture with the sand

you can get coloured sand as well.you can design the picture first

and it can be hardened so it stays that way and put in a picture box and displayed

i think some of them are beautiful and very well done

it look like it might be hard but i think if i start off on the easiest level and work my way

through it could be something i will find challenging but fun

and they would make great gifts for my family

nat
    0 x
    AmandaB

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:04 pm

I am looking at a website called Meetup where all sorts of different groups meet up. There are some I am interested in. Looks like lots of different activities.

I have also been drawing
    0 x
    Angelina.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Dear Amanda and Red,

Great thinking! Love your work!

Amanda, how did the 'Meet-up' group go? Any feedback?

Red, that sounds like a very challenging yet rewarding activity indeed! I love how you mentioned about petting your cats, I have noticed the same response in myself, haha, a deep satisfaction and serenity! (It must release Oxytocin 'love chemical' or the like). I have a big black long-hair domestic boy and he is just a princess lol :P

Check out this link:

http://dept.wofford.edu/neuroscience/ne ... -human.pdf

Have a great weekend everyone
    Angelina
    0 x
    Angelina.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 pm

You can only seem to access half of the above article, check out this one instead:

http://www.skinergy.nl/BiolPsychiatry-MH03.pdf
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”