Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Going Cold Turkey or betting small?

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Seeingthelight

Going Cold Turkey or betting small?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi everyone I'm here for the 1st time after struggling to overcome gambling on the Pokies ? I don't go everyday mainly payday. I see a lot of people win around me and cannot come to grips with the fact that I lose fairly consistently. It feels like I am just donating to my local clubs at times. I often will pay my bills before I go and groceries so at least that's sorted. I love the club atmosphere and the patrons are generally a nice people and are always up for a chat.
    I cannot sustain this lifestyle but want to still go. I always start with 10 cent per spin bet but nothing happens. I lose patience and add more and so it begins until in no time I am back at the atm dwindling my funds yet again. Do you think it's best to abstain all together or learn to control your urges and bet small ?
    0 x
    DFP

Re: Going Cold Turkey or betting small?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:16 am

Personally, total abstention is the way to go. I have failed time and time again to control. I may be able to do it for a few visits but sooner or later it ended up being like you describe (several trips to ATM until all funds gone.

Look at the forum for advice on how to quit. Key is to limit access to funds, be accountable to someone and rediscover your interests is something more meaningful than pokies.

All the best - why don't you start the 100 day challenge?

DFP
    1 x
    Always a 'work in progress'
    Oregon

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:15 am

Definitely have to stop completely. If you could control small bets then you wouldn't have a problem.
    You'll end up making bigger bets to chase small losses and that's where it gets to be a problem again.
    0 x
    Needhelp589

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 pm

For me ( this is more for horses but still gambling ) Its easyier if I don't bet because sometimes I say il bet 10 dollars, just 10. It loses, I think ah another 10 won't hurt, then it's 50...100... and so on because I start chasing and trying to win it back and next minute your account is empty.
    0 x
    JAPAZ

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am

Trust me, nobody around you is winning. The same people you see 'winning' big probably have the most debt, and even their wins of 5k are nothing compared to their debts of 50k, so they do not appreciate that very win, and end up blowing it trying to get back 50k. After that, they then think they are 55k in debt... the cycle continues.
    1 x
    microwave

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Have some urge surfing strategies. You can block out some of your week with some replacement hobbies/activities that have similar psychological payoffs (or better) but without the risk. Keep a blog, join a group where you can talk to people going through the same thing and have some accountability with each other.

Start writing a memoir if that's your thing. You can talk about whatever, the news, etc. just know there's someone on the end of the computer or phone line and you're not alone- the loneliness and feelings of self disgust fuel your betting/spending.

You could talk about your triggers, they can be really subtle like people looking down on you or responding to you in a certain way, or an ongoing issue. Escapism, moving away from uncomfortable feelings. Drama about Mum's diabetes triggers me and her lectures and disputes we have about the household bills, having too many responsibilities. I think *F*** you* and run off with the cards

You could subtly de rail whatever pathways set off your betting or spending and change your routine. You're not a failure if you can't do it- you learn something from every time you bet. Your triggers could be subtle, times of the day, locations etc feeling inadequate and like you need a cheer up, because it's the weekend, because of whatever reasons you give yourself.

You've got to replace it with something else, you can do it slowly. I think it gets easier and the days roll on and more time passes by. You have to be there or have your phone on you. You could even change the way you go to work if it makes a difference, or your social life (who you see, where you go, what you do), or whatever so you don't run into something that's going to result in you blowing money.

You can end up being really good at time management or an athlete or a Formula 1 driver trying to jump over the hurdles you put in place for yourself to stop yourself from betting.
    2 x
    Hooper

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am

This is how to quit smoking - reducing the dose will not lead to anything, if you quit, then immediately and completely and do not break, then there is a chance to be saved.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”