" "

Advertising on Face Book

Discuss and debate the latest hot topics in gambling politics and media.

Advertising on Face Book

Postby Amanda » Wed May 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Is it only me, but I feel like I am being stalked on facebook with online gambling, the same thing happened when I quit smoking and was researching everything from diet to hypnotherapy and beyond online, everywhere I looked Terri from that ICanquit Ad was there, on FB, everything where they could place an advertisement. Now online gambling is coming up constantly on my FB site, this is so wrong. I have never played games or been involved with any online gambling, luckily I was sensible enough to see that I would become addicted and just stayed away.
Amanda

Re: Advertising on Face Book

Postby Neve [admin] » Thu May 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi Amanda
You're right, it feels as though we are inundated with advertising these days - gambling ads included. I myself have noticed the gambling ads on TV a lot, and then there's the 'quick loan' ads conveniently placed straight after! I wonder if anyone knows whether you can adjust facebook settings at all to effect the amount or type of advertising... I assume not, but worth putting the question out there.
Neve
Neve [admin]

Postby Cherie » Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi all, I have been disgusted lately to see the invitation to go to free online gambling sites on my yahoo home page for everyone and their dog to see, this has horrified me. Is there no laws whatsoever to stop these predators from peddling their wares to unsuspecting people or vulnerable gamblers trying hard to stop. This is immoral in my opinion and no wonder so many people are getting rich through greed and other's suffering. Makes me very angry!!!!
Cherie

Postby Jonno » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 pm

It's not fair. It's like they're trying to drive you insane
Jonno

Postby JenniferA (facilitator) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Hey Amanda, glad you asked - hopefully from the response you can see you are not alone in this! Gambling ads can be distressing when you're quitting.

When you see an ad on facebook, you can click on the top right hand corner of the ad post (it's a little world symbol) and follow the prompts to hide all adverts from that organisation.

Has anyone else tried this solution?

Jennifer
JenniferA (facilitator)

Return to Hot Topics