" "

Activities to do instead of gambling!

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Postby User 586eee5282d07 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 am

Something to do in the cooler months is knitting. I am not very talented or patient with this activity but i do 10 inch squares and pass them to my mother who passes onto a group who make blankets and then send to overseas countries. Cheap to do and passes some time.

Love browsing pinterest for things to do, see, eat and make.

Never been really big on excercise but really starting to take an interest in this. Seriously great to swim, wLk and run on the beach for starters.

Anything around the home, painting, gardening, DIY projects.

Pampering things, manicures, pedicures, facials, hair treatments. All things you can do at home if no money funds available

Take a bath with music and candles.

Pray, meditate, read.

Wow so may things to do, why oh why didn't i do these in the first place instead of letting my life end up in such a mess !!!!!!
User 586eee5282d07

Postby Noah (facilitator) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:37 pm

What a great list!! Thanks for sharing this. :o
Noah (facilitator)

Postby victorial » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:43 pm

I made a list this morning two categories: Free Things To do: visit friends and family; go for a walk; go to local tourist sites like river,lookout;visit the cemetry and look after loved ones graves and talk to them;window shop; picnic with a loved one in the park; ............... Cheap things to do: second hand book shop,movies either austair,streaming or cinema;visit vinnies or sallies,go to a local zoo or animal park,tip shop; pool or beach.I made this list because I am trying to save this year for the things that I need to do instead of trying to win them...which rarely works.I do my household and gardening chores but I find them isolationist and mundane I get some satisfaction from a clean house and tidy garden but I cannot make them my passion.I find I need to be out of the house at times and am trying to find places to go which will fulfill me and give me food for thought.I think I am creative but have never really explored that side .I am reading shakespeare and the new testamant at the moment,dont ask me why probably they are the only books in the house that I havnt fully explored.
victorial

Postby pamela » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 am

Hi Victorial ..that is a good list ..if you are creative why not try and enrol in a drawing/painting/writing class and see if that is what you would like to do.
There are lots of free activities to do ...any activity is better than gambling..the hard thing is not letting gambling intrude your thoughts all the time..good luck and stay focused
pamela

Postby victorial » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Pamela, its a funny thing but I actually started to lay the foundations for a book based on a dream I had yesterday, have not attempted to write much before so I think I will take your advise and try and find a writing class thankyou ,as you say any activity without gambling is a good one.Its amazing now that I am freeing my mind up from thoughts of gambling I am actually quite excited about the endless possibilities available to me
victorial

Postby annnie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Victoria,

Find a place and make it yours, a tree in the park ( take a folding chair & picnic lunch ) and write/ read. Don't forget about the library ( free books )
also there's a website for free events in many areas. Sometimes we just have to make an effort as it is too easy to not too, then we get bored and the wrong thoughts come into play.

Old photos can go into an album if they are sitting in boxes. Create a book of family favourite recipes for the children, there will come a day when they will be cooking for you ( as with my parents ) and there will be requests and questions from the cook. I wish I had taken a video of my mother cooking ( European baking ) when she could as it would be so helpful although I have got my head around most recipes now. take photos of the finished recipe and buy a blank paged book to give as a gift one day. I just used plastic folders and ran the recipe off computer from ms word document.

Finding things that are mentally stimulating and challenging can help also eg online scrabble etc.. I love bunnings, the sausage sizzle and free DIY classes, something to get out of the house for , no intentions of buying anything or taking up a new project that costs $. (Memo to self , could do with a new parsley plant )

Markets are good for a walk & fresh air , don't have to buy anything , just to get out and have a walk, taste all the nice things on offer, take a drink with you. I have fallen in the past for buying the products now just taste and consider for the future ( about 10 yrs or so !!!)

Another activity could be to email all friends/family and add an updated photo. ( Not long since Christmas, pencil in for later in the year )

Writing your book sounds great , just write it for now, it can be tweeked (?) later via a writing class.

Walking is great for clearing the head and treating depression.

Volunteering can be very rewarding and helps with self esteem and confidence.

Invite people over, all must bring a plate and byo drinks and bring back the board games !!!! we loose touch with others so easily whilst gambling.
annnie

Postby victorial » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 am

oh Annie how positive your post was ,you really are a help,your insights on making the effort to do something are quite right.I dont know if my problem is laziness or depression but there are many days when I havnt left the house or seen anyone ,I just couldnt be bothered,many days when Ive just laid all day and watched TV,and hate doing that..although thats usually after little sleep the night before because of my copd.But as you say if we are inactive physically and mentally and leaving ourselves unstimulated, we ARE leaving the door open for gambling to creep in,especially when we are in the habit of using that form of entertainment as our stimulant.Its amazing really how quickly we can jump up get dressed and run to the club when we have a bit of cash,but how slowly we react when someone pops in and says :"do you want to come to the markets"".I think finding enthusiam again for the simple things in life is the key,and I think with your suggestions you have nailed that.I love the idea of the special tree in the park ,and I love board games but unfortunately I dont know anyone else who does,or who has the time .I must start entertaining I havnt done it for many years.Thankyou Annie you have really given me food for thought....and hope
victorial

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am

These are some great suggestions that I will be taking with! I can knit and I find suffering from anxiety it helps me keep my mind free to wander but my hands busy. There are a range of 'YouTube' videos online that you can use to learn to do so many activities.

I like the idea of picking a place/tree at the park, it is something that I have done in the past with a blanket and just read, ate cheese and relaxed by myself.

Separating activities into free and cost is a great idea, as sometimes money can be an issue. If anyone is keen on looking at courses (short and long), there are a couple of suggestions that I myself have done:

Go to your local council and ask them what activities and courses they run. You'd be surprised by how many things they do, and if they don't have exactly what you want, look over in the next towns council. You can also look online at many council websites in your area. Inbox me if you need a hand with this, happy to help.

Another suggestion is https://www.open2study.com/ they have courses online
Another personal favourite is https://www.futurelearn.com/

I think I'll do some reading at the park this afternoon in a chair actually!

Cheers
Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby User 586eee5282d07 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Blastoise, just wanted to thank you for the links in your above post. There are so many free on line courses to choose from. I have registered for a mindfulness and wellbing course. Can't wait to start.

Bye

Sandra
User 586eee5282d07

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am

HI Sandra,

YAY, the mindfulness one is great, I thought I would struggle to commit but it was a great way to introduce something into me regime to manage my anxiety and clear my mind. Let us know how you go!

Regards,

Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard