" "

Success Stories

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Success Stories

Postby Oregon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Herc wrote:I have been pathological gambler, and I managed to heal.
https://youtu.be/Oa9wNU8uNB8

Thanks for that video. So truthful.
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Jeddie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi, I have tried to watch that video but I can’t keep up with the subtitles🙁
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Rusdog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Scott1 wrote:Just dropping in with the quick version - I'm almost two years pokie-free now after they almost ruined me. I received invaluable help from a local organisation (NSW Far North Coast) which helped retrain my brain - it helped me to think differently about pokie machines and gambling in general. I still gamble on occasion, but aside from two large-ish relapses involving roulette and sports betting, I've been very well behaved these past two years. These days, if and when I gamble, I feel like a true recreational gambler as opposed to a compulsive/degenerate one - I'm now throwing $10 on Keno once every few weeks, instead of punting away my paycheck every week on the machines. The biggest difference I notice now is my mentality - I don't give a **** if my $10 yields nothing, nor do I have any compulsion to persevere with my numbers and chase the $10 I've lost - half the time I don't even care enough to check my ticket before leaving! My biggest issue in the past was being unable to quit - even when I was winning. Doesn't matter how strong your addiction is - nobody is born a problem gambler - you learned that behavior, and it can be unlearned too.

I'm not a high earner, but I managed to repay almost $20k worth of gambling related debt within 15 months, finishing last September. Days one and two of my 100 day challenge I physically broke down into tears upon reflection of what I'd been doing to myself, and the anxiety of facing that mountain of debt was crippling. I started with $25 a week until I'd rebuilt a small savings fund for life expenses, and from there I started repaying larger amounts as I could afford it. I'm proof that it doesn't matter how deep the hole gets - the first step doesn't have to be a big one, just as long as you take it.

I am struggling so much. It is putting me on the edge. How do you do it. Urges get me. I feel upbeat than im done in the dumpsters.
Rusdog

Postby will94 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm

hey guys

i just want to try and help others , who may be in the position i used to be in , about 10 months ago i ended up losing everything, everything i loved, my beautiful fiance who i was with for 6 long years who meant the world to me , my home , my belongings ,my pet, friends and everything else that goes hand in hand with them. I started down the slippery slope off gambling from a young age , and it grew stronger and stronger as each day passed , as it took hold of me and started to take over my life , i went down a very dark path, i started putting on weight , my social life slowly vanished , i stopped doing all the things i loved and gambling became my number one in life. i remember standing over that ATM machine ready to withdraw cash to gamble with and reading the poster above , which stated where does your gambling stop , and i remember the last step was losing your loved ones and i always thought to myself that will never happen to me ,well guess what it did .

Right now apart from still battling with the fact of losing her , Ive never felt better , i haven't gambled once in the last 10 months , haven't thought about it haven't missed it ,i feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders, ive been travelling , brought things i always wanted but never would buy , started new hobbies , back in the gym and im focused on bettering myself as a person and i have learnt so much about myself good and bad,but i dont want anyone else getting to the stage i did !when the only wake up call to stop gambling is losing everything you have , i dont want you to get to that stage ,get a hold of this while you can, because trust me a life without gambling is amazing !!

if you want to talk more , or want help dont be afraid to ask its the best thing you'll ever do.
will94

Postby Bowdit » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Back to day one borrowing money to feed my family stand up guy
Bowdit

Previous

Return to The Courtyard