" "

My story

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

My story

Postby Sadmum » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi everyone, I’m a 30 yo mother who gambles on the pokies, I don’t have a job and feel so lost , i can easily gamble away all my pay in the hope of getting a win to get it all back but the reality is I lose and end up mooching all week of my husband . He knows I gamble and suspects I do it , but I always lie to him and put on a happy face, we are on the verge of breaking up I am already suffering dipression, I’ve had this habit for the last 10 off years and it’s always on my kind, I want to stop the gambling and get my life back. I want to make something of myself . I feel soo depressed and like I’ve let my kids down
Sadmum

Re: My story

Postby Springhope17 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You can do this! You've already admitted you have a problem and thats the the first most important step!
I suggest start the 100 day challenge it really can help!
If you can talk to ur husband maybe you can ask him to take control of ur money for now so you dont have access to do it!
Otherwise what i did to start with was as soon as my pay went into my account at midnight I paid all my bills online so i was left with very little cash in my account! I brought vouchers for food/fuel so that I didnt have access to cash.
If you are considering gambling call the hotline they are there 24/7 and really can help. They can also recommend face to face gambling - this has helped me alot!
When I use to have urges I would log on here and read all the stories- most of them made me really sad! So many of us just want to be free of this horrible addiction and get our lives back!
You can do this!
Springhope17 76 days GF
Springhope17

Postby Sadmum » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you springhope those are great suggestions, and I will try them all! I really am ready to change, going to go have a look at the 100 day challenge now, also congrats on 70 odd days GF
Much luv x
Sadmum

Postby Springhope17 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Another thing that helped me was putting activities and plans in place at the times I usually gambled - which was payday and the days directly after.
Now I make sure I am either at work or have my kids with me so there is no chance to gamble. I also schedule appointments etc then to keep me occupied.
Springhope17

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello Sadmum,

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on gamblers help online.
Welcome to the forums, you have taken the first step into asking for help.

Springhope17 has made some great suggestions. Calling the helpline (1800 858 858) gives you an opportunity to speak to a counsellor that can help you with taking the next step towards tackling your gambling by providing a referral and also giving you self-exclusion information so that you can ban yourself from the venues. Also getting back in touch with your hobbies or activities you enjoy is important and prioritizing the way you spend money.

I think you will find that other members experiences, insight and support to be of use to you.

Regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Return to The Courtyard