" "

I need to stop

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

I need to stop

Postby Ad » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Hello everyone
This is my first time being here but thought I would share my story with you all.

I used to hate gambling, couldn't even understand why people would put money in these stupid machines. One day my brother taught me how to play them and that was the start of something terrible... I have had a gambling problem for years now, but used to be able to go out for a night and spend $100. But lately I have been really bad, spending $300 - $600 in one night and then playing again in a day or two spending more. I am a stay at home mum and have always loved just getting out and having some time to myself, I can't lie I love the pokies. It seems at the moment I really have no. Control, I transferring money, then trying to replace that money from other accounts and hoping my husband doesn't notice, which he hasn't yet... But I am spending hard earned money that he is working for and I might add doing huge hours at work and I sit there on a pokie machine like its play money and keep feeding those horrible machines. I feel like its almost a sickness now, I even hear the pokie noises in my head. I feel like I can't stop thinking about them and just want to play more and more and more... It's out of control... I really need some help to move past this... Please help me :(
Ad

Re: I need to stop

Postby JinxyWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Ad and Welcome,

You have taken the first step to getting this demon of your back. That takes real courage so give yourself a pat on the back for that.

There are many avenues of support, all you need to do is reach out. My first step was contacting a councellor via email as there were no face to face services where I live, then joined this forum and started reading other peoples stories. They so closely mirrored my own it was kinda scary but also gave me hope. I was no longer alone, I had people I could really talk to, no judgement, just helpful supportive people. There is also the helpline if you need someone to talk to.

I know that it's scary and your not quite sure where to go from here but just know that we are all here to support you on this journey. Just take it one day at a time, moment to moment, and know that you can get through this.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Cazza » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 am

Hey , welcome to the forum. Wishing you lots of strength on the start of your gamble free journey.

I too "loved"the pokies and they were also my free time away from the family. I have discovered that once you fall out of love with the pokies i don't really want my free time away from my family anymore.
Your brain is very good at deceiving you at what you think is important. But if you stay strong you will find your real you again.
Read lots of posts and follow lots of journeys. There are many who have been long term off gambling and still come back and offer us newbies their support.
Much strength to you on living a GF life 😊
Cazza

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:48 am

Hello Ad,

I'm Calvin and I'm one the facilitators here on Gamblers Help Online.
Welcome to the forums and good on you for reaching out for support, I think you would find this space to be a great support to you where people share their own similar experiences and help give guidance.
It seems like you are stuck in that toxic spiral with the pokies which many people experience. It can pull you in and become quite hypnotic and thrilling.
You can try by evaluating what your urges or triggers are which motivate you to gamble and possibly even look into self-exclusion.
If you would like to speak with a counselor for further support please don't hesitate to call the Gamblers Helpline on 1800 858 858. The counselors can help provide you with strategies, support and a referral to a face to face counselor for ongoing support (free of charge).

regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Return to The Courtyard