" "

A fresh start!

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

A fresh start!

Postby Springhope17 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a new thread to go with my latest attempt to become GF for good.

Today is day 22!
I made it to 128 days and then relapsed! Since then I have been gambling on and off trying to quit this horrible addiction.
I really hope this time I am able to beat this as I dont want to lose anymore of my time and hard earned money!!

Trying to cope with the massive debts that I have accumulated from my pokies addiction is one of the main reason I have kept going back trying to keep up with bills and repayments.
Even tho I know that is the reason I got into this mess.

Hopefully this is a fresh start..
Springhope17

Re: A fresh start!

Postby Mona58 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 pm

You CAN do this Springhope.

One day at a time.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Springhope17 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Thank you Mona!

I am so happy that you have remained strong and are doing so well!
Springhope17

Postby Mona58 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 am

Thank you too for being supportive In the earlier days!

Keep strong!
Mona58

Postby Marcol » Tue May 15, 2018 12:05 pm

I wish you all the very best. I like you got to around 120 days last year after 30 years of pretty much playing every time I could.

Interesting thing - when I was last on holiday where there were no Pokies - I had no urge other than thinking about all my debt while trying to relax on the beach. You know we all can live without them ! Did I feel unwell or suffering from anything while on holiday ? No - I am trying to say that life is the same without them - nothings changes and the world keeps turning - the only thing that does change is you - and for the better in every single way.

I am going to try to start another 100 day challenge today and would love to hear about your progress as well. I am starting to realise that the strength of supporting another person is in its one way a strength for the other person as well.

All the very best with your mission - be proud of everyday you beat this

Marcol11
Marcol

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Wed May 16, 2018 11:28 am

Hi Springhope17.

I'm Calvin, one of the forum moderators.

128 is a tremendous effort. Even though you have relapsed, it is important to be aware that many people do experience a relapse and its more common than what people think. It is not always easy giving up something we have grown so accustomed to. Its great to hear that you are trying again.

I gather that your main motivation to gamble would be for financial gain to afford bills etc?

I would encourage you to call gamblers help at 1800 858 858. They are a 24/7 counselling service that can provide with immediate support and can also refer you on to a free gamblers help counsellor and as well as a financial counsellor. Financial counsellors can provide you with assistance in areas of debt or general financial struggles (paying for bills etc.).

Regards,

Calvin.
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby Springhope17 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks everyone for all the support! I have an appointment next week with a counsellor.

I have been having a few urges today, that is because I know come 5pm my fortnightly wage will be in my account! So i know tonight/tomorrow is my danger time!

I am trying to keep myself busy around the house and I will soon begin making dinner ensuring there is no excuses to go and gamble! Definitely am having the thoughts if I could win a few hundred i could pay this bill or that. Then the other half of my brain is screaming NOOOOO it hasnt worked yet and you are drowning in debt! WAKE UP and DONT DO IT. I am determined not to give in and fight the urges!

Today is day 24 GF
Springhope17

Postby Springhope17 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 pm

28 days GF today!

SO that's only 100 more to go to make it to where I was at before my relapse 128 days GF!
I have still been having a few urges but I have made sure I have been super busy so there is definitely no chance to gamble! That as well as limiting my access to cash!
Hope everyone has been having a good weekend and remaining strong!
Springhope17

Postby Mona58 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 am

Stay strong Springhope ! You can do this!
Mona58

Postby Springhope17 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks Mona!

Day 30 today. Had a counseling session today, It went really well.

Main thing I took out of it was I need to focus more on myself, So thats my plan for this week!
Springhope17

Next

Return to The Courtyard