" "

So fed up with pokies

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

So fed up with pokies

Postby suzybeauty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 am

I'm usually answering other posts, today I thought to write my own post as have been wanting to start a new topic for some time.
Maybe you've come across my posts or maybe you are new here - I welcome both.
My problem is that I want to quit but I keep going to the pokies and I'm so fed up with it. I have a pattern where most of the time I'm doing ok at the start, and then I feed all I had to them plus more! I don't leave when infront, only sometimes. Also, can they see us when we get any sort of win ? Why is it, that after a win of one to a few hundred, if I stay, it all goes back in and can't win again. I've noticed this to happen time and
time again. My dad also plays pokies and said the same to me, he believes they can see us or maybe even through the machines. There are cameras everywhere, but possibly the machines are bugged too, only the government knows for sure!
I just know that every time I walk out broke & emotional, another lesson is learned. I am relapsing, I come here because I believe one day I will be strong enough to stop going to pokies. It's taken some over 20 years to stop. It's been 5 years for me of going, and trying to quit for 6 months, but I don't want another 15 years of my terrible pattern, I'm going to visit here as much as I can, I really need to quit.
suzybeauty

Re: So fed up with pokies

Postby Oregon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 am

Hi Suzy,

I've often felt like the pokies know who we are, when we won last, when we're hooked and will spend big.
But there is no pattern to these machines, they are programmed so you win small and lose big.

Think of it this way
When you get a good win at the start, lets say you get $100 up. You'd think, hey that's a pretty good win.

When you are $500 down, and you get a $100 'win', you'd think, that wasn't very good, I'm still way down. Where's the $1000 win I got that other time?

The only way to escape this is to not step into those playing venue rooms.

Oregon on day 21 GF
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 am

Hi Suzy,

As Oregon says the "only'- way to stop is to NOT go into the D-Dens. Whether it's 20 years or S years of gambling ... once the gamble demon gets its claws on us it won't let go! Ask yourself why you keep going back... when you Know what the result will be? That is what addiction means... We feel miserable and think we've had enough when we don't have any money... then,. we get paid... we have money... and off we go to the pokies. Why? That is addiction....

You CAN STOP !! Just DON'T GO! Easy peasy?? Bloody hell NO... ! It damn well hurts... hurts like stupid... Heart pumps like you're just run a marathon... anxiety builds... your adrenaline hits full power... It is hard labour... BUT it passes ... depends on how determined you are to stay quit. ...

Do whatever ... anything. : Wash windows... (Come do mine please Iol)... get a shovel dig a garden... release the adrenaline... sit in a corner cry... let it all out!. ... curse the gamble demon ... perhaps think of it like a bad relationship breakup.... You will feel a little better ... ONE DAY at a TIME!

YOU CAN DO IT!! BELIEVE In You!

Mona... 121 days GF ... 4 months & 1 day!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby pamela » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Just remember you don't play the machines,they play you.and you will not be the victor
pamela

Postby JinxyWolf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi SuzyBeauty,

I was just checking in to see how everyone was getting on and I came across this post. So I thought I'd put in my 2 cents

When I played to pokies I'd see all sorts of crazy things and I'm sure you've come across it yourself. People would rub the screens, push the buttons harder or softer, hit all the buttons then hit play, bring in outside objects to sit on the machine, I even saw a guy sit a statue of Jesus on the bloody machine! all thinking that it would make a difference as to whether they won or lost. But the truth is, they all lose in the end, whether it's today or tomorrow or a week from now, the house always wins.

These machines are programmed to do one thing and one thing only and that is "Make Money" it is our brains that come up all the reasons why we don't win. We convince ourselves that these machines have conspired against us, they give us a taste and then take it all back plus more. That is the addiction talking, trying to convince us that if we play a certain way or go at certain times the outcome will be the different. There is no conspiracy here, it's simply well designed programming.

As you distance yourself from gambling you will start to see the truth behind these machines, you'll learn to hate them, they are after all specifically designed to take your hard earned money, they have no guilt, no remorse and they don't give a Sh*t about you and what you have lost.

Give yourself a chance...get some distance and things will become clearer..Stay Strong.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby suzybeauty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Oregon, Mona, Pam & Jinxy, thanks all for your understanding & support 😊
Yes I know the machines are programmed, I learnt that a while back as I have researched lots about it to know what it does. I just feel like I keep doing a pattern - win some & lose some, yes definitely an addiction. I've been trying to quit this roller coaster, it's been more down than up on the roller coaster so I know the machines are designed to manipulate & take all you got. They suck you in because after any kind of mini (50 - 100) or a major (2 - 600), you think, hey I'm gonna try my luck again, this was good & fun. I'll spend some of the win at shops & keep a bit to go again next day but then it doesn't happen again for a while & then it takes all you got as mentioned, robs you.
Thank you for believing that I can stop, I sure want to & trying. I will continue to come here for more aspiration from you all. I'm sick of being broke each week & need to take action of a change 😊
suzybeauty

Return to The Courtyard