" "

Enough is Enough

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Enough is Enough

Postby 42lady » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi this is my first time here... I need all the help I can get to stop the pokies.. but I can not speak to my husband family or friends about my problem .... I hope I can get help here... I have lost all my savings over the past year and I just need to stop as I feel so very ashamed and worthless and stupid.... sometimes I feel like packing up my things and leaving my husband and 3 kids as I am so ashamed.... it's so hard to stop !!!!
42lady

Re: Enough is Enough

Postby SistaB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi 42lady

Joining here is a good start. I only signed up yesterday so I am new. Reading through the posts from others has helped me to understand people are in the same position as me and I am not alone. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Use the self assessment and self help tools available on this site and get a picture of why you gamble and what changes you can implement now to help you on your path. Limit your access to cash. Distract yourself by doing something else when you get the urge to gamble.

I hear you when you say you can't tell husband/family. Maybe in time when you get on top of it initially you can bring yourself to discuss it with your loved ones. I am hoping to as well, but for now I feel guilty, ashamed, unworthy and am afraid of the response to telling someone "I am addicted to pokies".

One day at a time and you can do it :)
SistaB

Postby Oregon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 am

Hi 42 Lady,

Please talk to your husband about this. Lies and keeping secrets is not going to help you. If you are in this together you can beat your addiction.
Use all the tools on this website and sign up for the 100 days challenge and if there are GA meetings in your area go to as many as you can.

Oregon 15 days GF
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:30 am

Hi 42Lady

I cannot say much more than Sista & Oregon have said!

It is hard.. very hard to do this alone! All the physical and emotional aspects will be felt by those around you. They will notice the changes in you.

If you cannot bring yourself to tell them ... Are you able to talk to your doctor? Talk to a gambling help counsellor ? Your doctor or gambhelp can help you find someone to talk to. And also help you find the courage to tell your family... When you ar ready!

Read the many posts here and you will find your own path...

Stay strong ... You can do it!

Mona on 115 days GF (16 Weeks and 2 days)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Return to The Courtyard