" "

First time here

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: First time here

Postby Oregon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 am

Hi Tally,

Welcome to the forum.
We have all felt that same way, believing that we will have a big win.
Read the other posts in this forum there is some great advice and documentaries to watch. Ka-ching! is a good one I think it's on I-view.
My best advice is to limit the amount of money you have access to, leave the cards at home and just carry around enough to get by anytime you know you will be in a situation where you can gamble.
Sign up for the 100 day challenge, get the daily SMS and talk to a counselor, all of which you can do through this site. Also do the module on controlling urges.
We all feel stupid for the money we've gambled here, so it's great to be active on these forums where you don't feel like you're the only one.
There's links to financial assistance on this website too.

I would tell your husband too. If he has had the same problems in the past then he will know how you feel, and if he hasn't played a machine in years he might have some good advice on how to stop the addiction.

So many people here have the same story about the pokies being a way to escape - you have to find a hobby, art, craft, music, gardening, exercise. This will release the same endorphins that you are getting by playing, take up the time you currently spend playing etc. Also Meetup is a great app to meet friends in the area.

All the best - please keep checking in.

Oregon on day 43 GF
Oregon

Re: First time here

Postby Mona58 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:03 am

Hi Tally,

Ka-Ching! Pokie Nation on ABC iview is a good place to start-.. as it will explain how the machines are programmed to program us to getting hooked! It destroys lives rich and poor.. from the high earner to the factory worker. The machines don't discriminate and bleed us for our last dollar... The machines don't care...

It is a long hard journey to get back our life. Call the Gamb helpline 1800 858 858 and they can put you on the track to recovery. Reading other peoples stories also helps to not feel alone in the struggle to recovery. It is a day by day .. step by step progress.

Gamblers Anonymous meetings are a good way to meet others and finding some personal support.

Wish you well on your journey to recovery and rediscovering your REAL self.

Keep posting as it helps lessen much burden... it helps release emotional strain . We here really understand and make no judgement because often our thoughts are equal...

Mona on day 89
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Return to The Courtyard