" "

After all...back to square one

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: After all...back to square one

Postby Jeddie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 am

Hi Catherine and Jasmine. My heart breaks for you both. I would like to say a few things and hope you take it in the spirit it is intended. What did you hope to gain by gambling when you had those things happen? Gambling does not fix anything. Your friend that died would still be not here even if you had won. Your husband that you thought spoke unkindly to you albeit wrongly would still be able to say something again the next day. GAMBLING FIXES NOTHING. It’s like drinking poison and expecting the other person do die 😥

My advice is to forget the urges ad work on your triggers. They sound like they are the same thing but they are not. Be prepared. Be ready for when you are really sad or someone sets off the trigger. Have a plan in place then do that instead of gambling. It’s very hard but can be done. Go back to basics. Ring the gambling helpline and talk to a counsellor. Ring when you are in a good moment, you don’t have to wait until you relapse. Find an accountability buddy that wont mind if you talk non stop about how well or how bad you are doing. I have realised that it can’t be someone who is still happily gambling tho because they don’t want to know and are probably going through the same but aren’t prepared to accept it.

Block all the online gambling apps, get self exclusion from the pokies,

Private message any of us if that will help. It’s onwards and upwards for everyone from today.

98 gambling free today
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Mona58 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Jasmine and Catherine

Could not have said it better than jeddie.

In all honesty I was upset last night when I read your posts. You have struggled with the addiction for so long. We all have...... you should know by now how destructive it is. It is hard work mentally and physically to stay quitl Do not give the "demon" its time of day. STOP letting it control your life ... surely you don't want to live miserably over and over again! FIGHT! those urges...

Triggers... are many things that bring on the urges. Understanding them and coping with what life throws us helps keep urges at bay...

Keep fighting ....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-08/s ... es/2730464

Read other peoples stories... over and over ... It is miserable ... it is painful ... it HURTS other people too....WE have to THINK if that is how we want to live...

Sorry if I sound angry but truth be Told I actually am ... now.

Mona on day 84 GF
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby suzybeauty » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 am

Hi Jasmine & Catherine & all here, this is definitely the best place to come where we can feel at peace. I feel so much better when we share our pain & our thinking together. I am on holidays in Qld Gold Coast at the moment, I couldn't afford to go really but scraped up what I could for airfares for me & son to spend time with my 2 older children who live there for Uni studies. Before holiday in Tas (where I live), I blew 1000 in a week. Here on Gold Coast I spent 85 on NYE & 125 last 2 days at pokies, that's all I had left so was trying to make more (stupidly thinking that maybe I could get a win) but of course lost it all. I've had to keep burrowing from my partner's credit card which he is unhappy about as trying to pay off. He gave me 50 the other day which I promised not to gamble it but last night my urge hit & I spent it on pokies. I am staying at my sisters & pokies is across the road, so it was easy for me to go when I got the urge. I have run out of money until my next pay, this Tues. I have also felt like crap & like a liar to my partner. As soon as I get back to Tas (one more week), I have to see my councellor. My losses have been going on for too long. I'm really thinking of starting the challenge of being GF. I have to work on my urges, this is my biggest obstacle because when it hits, it makes me feel sick inside where I have to release the sickness by thinking I have to play pokies. Then I play pokies & feel worse. Really wanting to quit
suzybeauty

Postby DFP » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Thank you for the link to the ABC forum, Mona - the comments are very informative.

Jasmine and Catherine - thank you for your honesty in sharing your recent experiences. It highlights the sheer difficulty of staying off the pokies - and of getting into the right frame of mind to get back on the quit wagon after a bust. It reminds me so much of difficulties I have had in the past. Typically I would go for quite a long period of not playing, and then for some hard to understand reason, I'd start again. Often in a small way but then within a week I'd have a big loss. It was then difficult to get back to being quit (mentally I'd say "what's the point"?). After a while - and more losses - I'd find the strength to quit and stay quit again. And then the cycle would repeat. So it is really really hard - and such failures are unfortunately part of the journey but I hope you are able to get back into the quit mentality soon. All the very best of wishes.
DFP

Postby Catherine1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Thankyou Jeddie, Mona, Suzybeauty and DFP for your kind thoughts and encouragement. Things are going well this week. I typed the following on a bit of paper, printed it and laminated it to fit in my purse.
Reasons not to Gamble: (1) Wastes money (2) Makes me feel angry (3) Makes me feel sick (4) Makes me feel guilty (5) Wastes time when I can be doing better things. My plan is to read through this when I get my next urge.

Friday this week will be tough. It is the funeral of my workmate. So it will be a very sad day. I also found out this week my best friends mum passed away, so that funeral is Saturday. So another sad day. On the up side I go through a major city on the way home from the funeral. So my plan is to call in to bunnings and get some plants for my garden. Money I would normally spend on gambling can buy my plants. I plan to spend the day in the garden on Sunday - weeding, fertlizing and planting. I dont want to waste any more of my money gambling.
Catherine1

Postby Mona58 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Well done Catherine.
Mona58

Postby Catherine1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Day 8 today. Got through funeral 1 yesterday. Got through funeral 2 today. Glad I have got through those tough days. So pleased with myself. On the way home I spent a fair bit of money on plants from bunnings, knowing I can afford them, as normally I would have visited the club, but not anymore. Tomorrow I plan to plant these plants in the garden, make a lemon/lime tart and cook a chop casserole for tea. Life is so much better when I am not gambling.
Catherine1

Postby Mona58 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Tough times never last Tough people do! (a book title)

Well done Catherine.

Life is much better without gambling,
Mona58

Previous

Return to The Courtyard