" "

A start

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

A start

Postby little_fish » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 pm

I’m 37. I started gambling when I was 23. The first time I played, I won. Blah blah f-ing blah. It’s such a boring story. Textbook gambling addiction tale. I’m disgusted with myself. I’ve known better for such a long time, but I’ve been through relapse after relapse. I’m so sick of myself. I’m sick of letting people down. Sometimes I think the only thing that’ll stop me is death. How sad. How pathetic. I don’t want that to be my story. Time to come up with a better plot line. Take back my life. Reconnect. I heard someone say recently that ‘the opposite of addiction is connection’. I’m holding on to that line tightly.
little_fish

Re: A start

Postby Mona58 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi little-fish'

Welcome to the forum.

It is a terrible isn't it? You WILL get your life back.

You seem strong already taking this step to post today. Yes we have to reconnect with life. Living gamble free is great. No more feeling miserable and grumpy after wasting all our money and time on gambling time after time '

We need to re-learn our mind to live without gambling... without using gambling as an escape from everyday normal ups and downs of life.

Read posts of others and post yourself if you wlsh. It helps to understand what we go through and what you will go through. Be prepared and aware of your feelings ... be aware of triggers that lead to temptations ... be aware of urges...these can bite when you least expect them.

You could try Gamblers Anonymous meetings if you have one in your area. Ringing the Gambling Helpline 1800 858 858 also helps when tempted and urges are strong. Taking up a new hobby is said to help.

Whatever works for you is most important.

Mona in day 65 GF
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby little_fish » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, Mona. I’ve been reading a lot of posts over the last couple of days & it’s definitely helped to strengthen my resolve. I’ve got an appointment with a gambling counsellor on Thursday & I plan to attend a GA meeting ASAP.
little_fish

Postby Mona58 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Well done! I'm so glad you posted back.

You have a good head on your shoulders. Do not be hindered if you feel something isn't helping. Try different counsellors ... till you find one you connect with . l've heard many stories that people don't feel comfortable with counselling ... and I often wonder if its just that personal connection. We must take what we need. Do what we must ... most importantly refrain from gambling . The urges are tough when they first hit... weird feelings. Can come out of the blue... never give in to them... AND you WILL have not only your life back... but a NEW one that will leave You a better person!

Wishing you all the very best on your journey!
Mona58

Postby Jeddie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:14 am

Hi there Little fish, when I decided to stop playing the pokies I read everything I could find and watch on the internet. I over ran my data by $50 that month but it was worth it. Watch “Ka-Ching A Pokie Nation” on iview if it’s available. One of the best things I’ve seen

Good wishes to you, I’m looking forward to your progress

80 days GF
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby little_fish » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:59 am

I saw it mentioned in a couple of posts while I was lurking. I’ve watched it twice! :) Also rewatched the gambling episode of You Can’t Ask That.
Last night I ordered Carolyn Hirsh’s book ‘Politics, Death and Addiction’. Very keen to read her story.
little_fish

Postby Jeddie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 am

There is also a movie called Going for Broke which is worth watching. Just a lunch time type movie but worth watching. So different in America, they even have pokie machines in supermarkets and also clubs where kids can go. And one bit where the lady cashed in $500 and the brought it to her on a sliver dish!!! Good golly
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Mona58 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am

Hi little-fish

Thanks for reminding me. I saw that book by Caroline Hirsch when I googled Australia's Gambling Problem and had forgotten about it. I love reading biographies and auto-biographies. l've brought so many books from the Op-Shop recently... I'd asked myself if I'd ever get around to reading them! Am soon gonna need another bookshelf ... or get rid of my dust collectIng ornaments!

l cringe at the mention of America. Here in Australia our politicians would be wise to learn from their mistakes.... but then its always about making as much capital as they can.. supposedly to make our lives richer! Politics is a whole other world!

All the best on your journey

Mona on day 66 GF
Mona58

Postby little_fish » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Jeddie, I watched that one a little while ago, too. There’s an Aussie movie that came out a little while ago called Broke & also Mississippi Grind.

Mona, I have the same problem with books! I have a brilliant local op shop & I never can seem to leave without taking a few books home. Staying away from pubs & clubs will give me more reading time—something I actually love doing. Good for my soul. More soul-filling activities—that’s what I need to fill my days with.
little_fish

Postby Mona58 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Well done. Yes' we need to keep occupied and re train our mlnd to enjoy the little pleasures of life.

I watched Ka-Ching again today as I keep recommending it and realised I'd forgotten what was in it! Wish Australia would follow America's (cringe) example and chuck the bloody machines in the ocean!
Mona58

Next

Return to The Courtyard