" "

My story - looking for advice

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My story - looking for advice

Postby DFP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi Oregon. Congratulations on 33 days and on getting through the Christmas period. Best wishes for a successful gamble free 2018.
DFP

Postby Oregon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 am

Thanks Mona
Had a rough day yesterday. After work, parked the car at the local and was taking out money. Then my girlfriend called asking what time I'd be home. That snapped me back into reality. Didn't have the guts to say where I really was : (.

Today - I've taken only enough cash for lunch, in $2 coins only (yes really) so there is no temptation. Cards are at home.

Oregon on day 34 (but only just!)
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Jeddie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 am

Well done Oregon and great job for answering your phone. How many of us can honestly say they would answer their phone while at the pokies. I know I would not have done so..

Pokie free 95 days
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Oregon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 am

My girlfriend knows I won't pick up if I'm playing pokies and she stresses out big time when I miss a call - she always assumes the worst.
Can't really blame her.
Had to run out of the room so she wouldn't hear the music. Once I was out I was not going back in.
Told her I had bad urges to play but didn't tell her how close I was.
Luckily she's been amazing.

Congrats on 95 days Jeddie.
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:01 am

Well done Oregon,

Those temptations will keep coming but become far and few between after awhile. I'd had to walk pass the D-Dens this morning and all I thought about was you guys I'd hardly noticed I'd had passed them. BUT I did think that I was Not quite safe yet... and not looking forward to when and if I get hit by another urge.

Mona in day 81
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi All,

Thought I'd check in for DAY 50! Halfway through the challenge.
It's been so hard but at the same time it's been amazing. Thanks to all the regular posters who keep me motivated to stay quit.

I never realised how far my monthly paycheck went, always felt money stress which lead me onto trying to win more. Well actually I can get by on what I earn - even supporting my new family. :D

Big month with Rego, CTP and 3 fortnightly rents due in the same month (if only I got paid fortnightly) but my GF has pitched in a bit provided I use it for the right things.

50 days down, a lifetime to go

-Oregon
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 am

Well done Oregon

Yipee! FIFTY days gamble free! Wonderful.

It is amazing when life becomes liveable! We start appreciating those so called small things about everyday life.

Eventually I think you might be able to pay yourself fortnightly. When you stick to a budget your savings will increase and you will be able take money out as you need.

Mona on day 97
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Well I don't know how to say this but I messed up and I'm back on day 1. Had to come clean to my girlfriend and she is so upset. Not only because I gambled away so much money but also because I had lied to cover it up in the past.

Luckily she is staying with me and we'll have enough money to pay for the essentials for now. And at least it is all out in the open and I can do this with her instead of keeping it all from her.

Same old story, I thought a big win could help out with some tight finances, of course I just ended up chasing my losses on the pokies and it got way out of hand.

Thanks for all your support up until now and I vow to make this time stick.

-Oregon on day 1 :( Gamble free.
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Wonder if you could / should give up access to cash for a while? Let your girlfriend or a parent hang onto your cards.

Its good that your honest about it. It is a constant challenge and even though relapse / lapse are supposedly par of the course don't let your self think you'll get away with it next time. Always tell yourself what are the consequences of stepping into the D-Dens' ?

Maybe register for SMS support and they'll sent you a txt everyday ...?
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Mona - all are already in place.

Going to do a lot better with it this time.
Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard