" "

My story - looking for advice

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My story - looking for advice

Postby Jasmine » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 pm

You are right it's pretty easy to draw the money out. I leave all my cards (debit, credit) at home. I only carry cash around $20-$50 each day depending on how my day is planned. I know it's a bit worrying...what if I need to pay for something extra. Funny that it hasn't happened to me so far. I think we know how much we really need each day.
Everything else is paid automatically online.
It's not as convenient as it used to be, but it saves me from wasting money to gambling. So I can live with a little inconvenience 🙂
Jasmine

Postby Springhope17 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Oregon,

I am in a very similar situation to you in-relation to the massive debts owed.

You have a good attitude saying you will try everything once.

I have tried to quit many times over the fast few years. This time I have out everything in to it. I regularly post online, I signed up to the 100 day challenge, I am doing face to face counsellor, I just joined a peer connection program, I am getting the daily text. Today I am 92 days GF.

Definitely limit access to cash! It helped me alot.

Remain strong its hard but it really is worth it.
Springhope17

Postby Jeddie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:29 pm

8 more days Springhope, how exciting 😀
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Oregon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:14 am

Jeddie wrote:Lol, The Players Lounge, sounds a lovely place to go. No wonder we all like it 😀

It's ridiculous the names these places have. VIP lounge. Royal lounge. Like we're all going to be winners just from sitting in there. Yeah right.

Jasmine wrote:You are right it's pretty easy to draw the money out. I leave all my cards (debit, credit) at home. I only carry cash around $20-$50 each day depending on how my day is planned. I know it's a bit worrying...what if I need to pay for something extra. Funny that it hasn't happened to me so far. I think we know how much we really need each day.
Everything else is paid automatically online.
It's not as convenient as it used to be, but it saves me from wasting money to gambling. So I can live with a little inconvenience 🙂

Exactly my strategy Jasmine, but you would think NAB in 2017 would be able to change a cash redraw limit on a card. The fact it was increased from $1000 to $2000 without my knowledge is bad enough. Honestly that $1000 withdraw limit was the only reason I would stop playing some days. Considering how many Australians have these problems and NABs ads being all about how different our money needs are and they cant do something that simple? Grrr. *rant over* sorry, i know, this isn't a banking forum

Thanks so much for this thread and everyone's tips and support - day 4! Feeling good about this. The real test will be Dec 15th - Payday - Can't gamble the Christmas budget away. Stay strong everyone!
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Jeddie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 am

Hey there Oregon, I bet a financial adviser could get that limit put down at the bank. Or go in and personally see the manager. If that fails ring the Ombusman..it seems very odd that they won’t let you with these days of online theft

65 GF days
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Good idea Jeddie,

If anyone wants to speak with a financial counselor to see what they can do for you, you can try calling the Financial Counselling Hotline
1800 007 007 (9am-4pm Mon-Fri)
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Oregon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:10 am

Quick update
18 days GF

Got the paycheck on Friday (I get paid monthly) and did all my Christmas shopping, didn't panic about spending which usually leads to trying to win a few bucks on the pokies.

The temptation was there of course but just gotta stay strong! So happy I have the Tools to ride out my urges now.

Thanks for the posting guys keep it up, this forum is like a waterfall of motivation for me.
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Well done on 18 days!

Keep using those Tools they are invaluable. Resist those urges ... don't waste any energy on them ... they will pass if you channel your thoughts to how good being gamble free is .
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 am

33 days today

Back on the forum for the first time since before Christmas. Hope everyone made it through this tough time of the year!
Happy New year to everyone, I know we are all planning on a Gamble Free 2018

Going to be tough this month - Car rego is due (rego + CTP + pink slip).
Rent comes out fortnightly and pay is monthly, so of course this is the month where I have 3x rent due.
Once this has passed it should be a lot smoother.
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Oregon

That happens! At least you got that positive gamble free attitude there!

Congrats on 33 days GF

Stay strong!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard